Painted kitchen doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gasman

Established Member
Reaction score
We are putting in a kitchen in a little cottage in Lymington and a local firm has quoted 10k which includes fitting, painted wooden doors, all the units, granite top, + built in Neff dishwasher and washer/dryer. There is a Neff oven and extractor from the old kitchen. The price did not seem too bad as I simply do not have the time to do the kitchen myself. However on closer inspection the painted doors are a staggering £2.5k. I have looked at the doors which came out of the old kitchen (stained pine) and about a third of them are the right size - so I am thinking I could use some of these, and then make the other doors myself which will obviously bring the price right down.
So.... if these doors are going to be painted, is it vital to use wood to make them with or would it be acceptable / OK / desirable to use MRMDF instead as obviously that will bring the time / cost down considerably. What do the experts think? The doors are going to be hand painted (by me) as we want the 'grain' of the paintwork to show. Can this be done so that it is not obvious they are MDF?
Thanks for the advice
Mark

This one im doing at the moment

utility-14800x598.jpg

This is shown with the white primer that has been sprayed on. The doors and frames are being handpainted at the moment and just looks like wood that has been painted. I should be able to get you a close up picture tomorrow.

cheers

Jon

edit should have said the doors are made from MRMDF 22mm with 9mm panel and frames are tulipwood once painted theres no discernable difference

Wot he said. I would always use MRMDF for cabinet doors if they are being painted. Always seems like a waste of good hardwood to paint it afterwards. Mind you I am tight. :lol:

OK thanks both of you - and what about if we wanted to field the panel - what does MRMDF look like then?
Thanks
Mark

Hi Mark

You can field MDF no problem, but make sure you have good extraction and a mask as there will be alot of dust.

When I do it I sand the field down to 240 grit and also prime the field 2 or 3 times before I put them together as it is easier to sand between coats because after the first one the field will be rough.

Other people on here will do it different ways but this is the way I do it.

Tom

tomatwark":1bp4tksz said:
Hi Mark

You can field MDF no problem, but make sure you have good extraction and a mask as there will be alot of dust.

When I do it I sand the field down to 240 grit and also prime the field 2 or 3 times before I put them together as it is easier to sand between coats because after the first one the field will be rough.

Other people on here will do it different ways but this is the way I do it.

Tom
Wot he said

Latest posts

Back