Paint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Been scratching my head lately trying to figure out what I can do regards painting metal products, like benches tables etc.

I have been using aerosol cans on my work so far.
Id roughly sand first, then etch prime spray, then colour.
But slightest bump will knock off paint.

Powder coating and sand blasting would add €100 to each of my products.
I don't see a solution.

Maybe just skip cop lours and do plain blackened steel...

Graham

The best rattle can stuff I found was a plastikote one:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/plasti-kote-s ... 00ml/76176
It's expensive but it lasted well - I used it on suspension components on a mini I restored. Failing that, you can achieve very good results with a decent quality brush and a slightly thinned paint. I've always used spencer coatings paint for that sort of thing as that's what our local "proper" ironmongers sells. I've also just used sparex tractor paint to very good effect on the lathe I'm restoring if you need different colours cheaply.

I heard some while ago two maintenance men in the local college telling someone that they had stuff there that was done fifteen years before with Blackfriars QD90 that was still good, and that they wouldn't touch Hammerite with a barge pole.

n0legs":1nlhk0qi said:
GrahamIreland":1nlhk0qi said:
But slightest bump will knock off paint

Graham

Is that down to the primer coat or down to the metal?

I'm not sure to be honest. Maybe if I had sandblasted down to bare metal I would get a better stick, but its a lot of effort for colouring metal. Im after a good finish too.
Just thought others would have experience in this.

Daft question but I take it you're wiping down with white spirit and paper towels first- till they go clean ? I think any finish that has a certain amount of thickness will chip, if bashed about.
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

It depends on whether the issue is adhesion, fil thickness film hardness, or a mixture of all.

You ideally need a suitable primer and then a 2 -pack top coat either AC or PU although both of these have nasties so would need spraygun, spraybooth and correct PPE.

I actually use a waterbased paint (625) from Remmers which is quite hard when cured. I use it on aluminium glazing bars. Base coat is their all primer. Maybe a similar product is available near you.

Even a pre cat laquer which is a single pack solvent based product would achieve a harder coating than aerosol spray cans which can only achieve a thin film coating as the material is very low viscocity, so you would probably achieve much better results with a spraygun and perhaps a turbine spraygun, I believe the Earlex is a good introduction turbine which may be worth considering.

rustoleum or por15 depending on the preparation of the base metal and the colour required. por15 is especially good on rusty old tat. neither are overly cheap though.

Have a trip to a motor factors that mix paint. I use a zinc primer followed by machinery enamel that can be sprayed or hand painted. It can be mixed to any colour. I have used coach paint in the past which doesn't chip when knocked. The enamel is a bit brittle. You could also go down the DTM direct to metal route.

Back