Paint(ing) technology

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shipbadger

Established Member
Reaction score
I wondered if this should be in 'Finishing' but it's not the sort of topic usually found there; so here goes: I'm about to start cladding the inside of my new workshop with 9mm Far Eastern ply. It could of course be left raw but I'd rather have a light coloured paint to reflect the available light. Now when I was young, learning to paint at my grandfather's knee, painting wood consisted of primer, undercoat and topcoat(s). Now paint technology has moved on since we used to go and watch the chap weigh out the pigments and mix them (Brummer, who still make stopping I think). I don't fancy going round the walls and ceilings three times if I don't have to. Can I apply a modern vinyl emulsion straight to the ply or will I need a primer first. If a primer is needed will an acrylic primer do or something else? Lastly would using a roller be likely to give a reasonable finish?

I would buy some cheap acrylic primer/undercoat and apply it with a roller. You'll probably need two coats to get a decent cover, but it dries very quickly.

No need for primer in a workshop. I actually used masonry paint in my workshop. Not for any reason other than I had 15l kicking about.

Don't obsess about the type of paint. Dulux Trade Eggshell will do ya. Undercoat if you must.

...Other than perhaps that the big drums of cheap white you see offered at the shoe box stores tends to have very poor coverage - any that I've tried anyway.

Dulux is good on coverage in my experience. First coat slightly diluted with water, then full strength.

A standard vinyl matt on timber isn't going to be hard wearing. Mid sheen, silk, or eggshell.

Personally, I'd apply acrylic primer and undercoat before topcoating - plenty of cheap ones around.

Your Grandfather is right of course. Prime, undercoat and top coat for a first class finish. Don't forget to rub down and fill. :lol:

However for you workshop a big tub of Wickes Trade, either emulsion or masonry when next on offer should do you.

for a quick colour that wont last and rub/flake off- go straight onto the wood with emulsion. if you want it to last and be durable- I would use either an acrylic primer/underoat then an acrylic eggshell (knots stains will blead thru this) - or for even harder wearing use a shellac based primer then an oil based system of two eggshell or 1 u/coat 1 gloss, wait for it to cure and you will be very durable and you should'int have to re-do it for years.

Latest posts

Back