Undercoat or Topcoat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some advice please.

We've just finished making a new front door and primed it with Zinsser Bin 123 primer. I've used this for years with great success on new wood. However, I realise that I have then always over coated this with white undercoat and topcoat.

The thing with the door is I've now undercoated it in red to be finished with a red top coat. The first red undercoat applied some colour but the white primer was showing through (is that called "grinning"?). I have given it a light sand and applied a second coat of undercoat. It's a lot better but I can still see the white primer underneath.

My question is, should I continue with undercoat to get rid of the white showing through, or would the red gloss topcoat be better?

I am using Johnstones acrylic undercoat & topcoat.

Cheers :)

Undercoat is generally more "glue" than "colour" and top coat is the opposite. As long as the undercoat has covered completely then I wouldn't worry and would move onto the topcoat. Doing an extra undercoat won't hurt though.

Red is a colour that doesn't perform particularly well in covering a previous different colour. It's quite common to need an extra coat of red top coat to hide whatever is below. So, where a blue top coat might do the job in one coat, the chances are you'll need two coats of red to achieve the same blocking of a previous colour, e.g., a primer, base coat, or an old sound top coat of a different colour that's been rubbed down ready for the new coat of red paint. Slainte.

Explains why red is the most expensive colour option these days for cars. thanks Richard

Droogs":2r2dulw3 said:
Explains why red is the most expensive colour option these days for cars. thanks Richard
I didn't know that, but maybe that's because I've never bought a new vehicle which could give me a colour choice option. Being, therefore, a second-hand only vehicle buyer all my driving life, colour, within reason, has been low on my list of priorities; I would though definitely baulk at handing over money for anything pink, especially if the car was what might be called, er, erm ... 'dainty', and all that that might imply, ha, ha. Slainte.

Droogs":2ah45u6p said:

It's because they know that anyone driving a red car has enough spare cash to pay all those extra fines when the Traffic Police are playing Billiards from off the motorway bridge :lol:

It's something I noticed when fidlling about with the options for BEV cars recently when trying to decide what to get for doing uber. Just as well edinburgh council are soooo slow at admin. My PHV license came through on friday, I applied in October, but hey with the dreaded Wuhan Malware and being diagnosed with Lymphoma in Jan , just as well they are so slow or I would be in real trouble moneywise with a new car and no way to pay. Lucky me

Back