Paint for use with food products

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeee

Reaction score
Quick question for you all,

I recently made a breadbin and sprayed it an off-white gloss paint instead of the usual food-safe oil finish. This contrasts very nicely with the white european oak lid / door.

Due to my naivety with working with paint and food products, I did not consider the effects of the chemicals in paint. I am now finding that even after many weeks of leaving the bread bin open to off-gas, it still smells and taints the bread (i make the missus eat the worst bits - toasted does the trick!).

I am wandering if there is a clear finish that I can apply to the paint in order to seal in the chemicals / odours? Bar that - can anyone recommend a decent paint finish for future projects that will be in contact with food?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Try getting hold of a clear waterbased lacquer and apply a single thin coat over the entire area. There's always a risk with compatability but as the paint has been on for so long I wouldn't expect any intercoat adhesion problems...anyway, what do you have to lose?

I have heard that putting half and onion in a newly painted room helps absorb/neutralize the smells paint gives off, might be a load of tosh but why not give it a go? the worst that can happen is onion flavored toast for a change.

Back