Painting aluminium table and chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just obtained some outdoor aluminium table and chairs in need of a little tlc. The only issue is that some of the paint has come off and the aluminium has oxidised. I was planning to clean off the loose paint and white oxidation with a wire brush. Apply brush on etch primer to the bare metal then a charcoal black matt finish.

I was hoping for the benefit the experience on here as follows
1. is there an easier way to clean off the loose paint and oxide
2. advice on which primer to use
3. advice on topcoat
4. Is there another way of doing it, I saw a video using zinsser 123 to prime the bare aluminium and painted aluminium.

Here is a picture of one of the chairs, it is the worst for paint loss and the table is much better

I am not after perfection as in car bodywork finish, but a consistent colour and paint firmly attached.

11ACD756-B0B7-48F4-8260-B4A291244A1F.jpeg

I would have a look at the Bedec range. I think it is multi surface paint that you will need.

What about Acid etched rattle can it would give the surface someting for the top coat to adhere to.

All aluminium is oxidised on the surface, unless you strip it in a vacuum.

Getting things abrasive media blasted and powder coated is a lot cheaper than you might imagine if you really like them. Otherwise I’d just rough it back with sandpaper and spray over it with whatever metal paint you want to use. Primer as necessary

Aidan

Latest posts

Back