Packing up workshop for house move

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
phil.p":2fh48bg0 said:
Think yourselves lucky - I moved last August and again in November and will again when this one's sold! Most of my belongings have been in store for two years.

You used to indecisive but now you're not really sure :)

I'm faced with a workshop move in the next 6 months or so after we sell. I've been considering ways to move all of the small stuff eg handtools, lathe tools, etc.

I've considered the plastic removal tubs I mentioned above but recently I have been wondering about using a wooden pallet as a base. I have a fair amount of reclaimed wood I could size to use as posts and a side frame. I have some rescued 12mm OSB. Size is an issue as pallets are a bit big for removal crates but maybe I could cut one down to half size, Build the side frames and base out of OSB and reclaimed softwood and even put a top on the crate. Maybe 3 or 4 such crate would work. They might even stack, an easy load with a tail lift and a couple of strong (if unwilling)sons.

A time rich cheap solution maybe.

The process of buying my new house has dragged on longer than I anticipated but I now have a completion date. So I'm now in the middle of packing up the workshop. I've decided to put the machines and wood in storage for a few weeks. Removers are going to move the bench, storage cupboards, drawers. I'm packing as much smaller stuff into plastic crates as possible and getting removers to take these as well. Even so there is a lot to sort, dismantle and get into storeage. It would help if my workshop was tidier, though at the moment it looks like a bombs gone off. My advice for anyone else is start early

Mark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 17
I would recommend the self storage route also. The last time I moved the removal company were not impressed with having to move the contents of my workshop (they had been warned) - particularly all the wood. Moving it to self storage takes the pressure off on the day.

DT

Back