P/T advice please...narrowed to a choice of 3 - heeelp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Established Member
Reaction score
Fellas

I realise theres another recent thread about P/T's and didn't want to hijack that one with my own question.

Purchase of a P/T is imminent, main considerations are:

Under £900
Supplied by 13A socket.

I've had a look at the Scheppach 2600ci (is this the same as the 260 mentioned in the other thread - I couldn't find a 260 when i googled it) The other thread makes mention of some niggly problems with this model when converting to thicknessing mode.

Also looked at the Kity 2636, both models appear similar spec but I've not been able to establish whether either will run off a 13A socket (must confess to not looking too hard)

Is anyone able to offer an opinion on either or indeed suggest an alternative. I've had a look at the Axi models as well and it was at about this time that I realised that I didn't really know what I was supposed to be looking for in one of these machines - hence this post.

as for its envisaged use.....
I have a fairly limitless supply of solid oak flooring off cuts (its all grooved on one side hence the requirement for the P/T) and will shortly be starting to work with hard woods from a timber merchants.

Cheers

Vinny

Vinny":3kqx9v6j said:
I've had a look at the Scheppach 2600ci (is this the same as the 260 mentioned in the other thread - I couldn't find a 260 when i googled it) The other thread makes mention of some niggly problems with this model when converting to thicknessing mode.

Thats referring to the Jet 260 which won't run on a 13 amp plug.

from other thread:

Streepips":e9pcsbkw said:
Scheppach 260
The version before the latest cast iron one is best.

ickle bit confoozed now :?

yep. seen that one but Chems says it won't run off a 13A socket :(

V - I use the small Kity 439 which had a good review in F&C some time ago, runs happily of a 13A ring main. Good machine and not too heavy either - Rob

I have the Kity 439 and find it quite good, I don't have a lot of experience with machinery but I find it accurate and above all fairly quiet when running.

Extraction is very poor but I understand it is not good on PTs as a whole.

The small Kity can often be found on eBay for about £300.

Mick

Thanks for all the advice, I'm now down to a choice of 2 The Kity 439 which seems quite popular or the Axi AW106PT2. Both are similarly priced, the Axi has a 3 knife cutter and the 439 has 2.

Does anyone have any experience of the Axi ??? And will it run on a 13A supply ?

Cheers

vinny

How do Vinny!

Done this to death myself, just to many out their to choose from :shock:

In the end, I bought a DW 733 Thicknesser ( Used ) and a CT1502 Jointer from Axminster, I used them yesterday in their biggest mission to date, and they were just superb, 2" Oak and not a stumble from either of them, and I like having seperates, it's quicker, and easier,

They should come in around budget as well ? MTS POwertools £369 for the DW733 and £440 think from Axi for the jonter ( 3 Blades as well ) I wouldn't change them now, I nearly bought a Jet PT260, but glad I went seperate.

HTH

Cheers

Jed

Jed

Nooooooooooooooooooo

I thought about that then dismissed it, now I'm thinking about it again. :?

As far as the "niggly" changeover from surface to thicknessing on the Scheppach 260. I think this is a subjective statement. It is a few seconds work, literally.... Assuming of course you are speaking of the model before the CI version which is in many ways inferior to the tried and tested sintered alloy version.
There is a world of difference in the "old" Scheppach machines and the "new" cast iron versions....
The CI unit has some definitely niggly aspects, such as a safety microswitch so that you cannot just position and lock the thicknesser waste chute, you have to screw down a lock screw to trigger a microswitch. earlier version it was a question of drop the chute in position, swing the cam handle and its locked.
The actual waste chute on the CI model is far from perfect as well. On the earlier version you could feed timber through the thicknesser the full width of the bed, and the waste would just fly out of the chute. With the CI waste hood there are vanes, ribs, septums, call them what you will inside the chute and these clog up very easily. letting waste drop back in to the rollers and cutters and fouling the machine.

As for the electricals, the Scheppach 260 of any variation is meant to run on a 16amp supply. and this is best achieved with an exclusive circuit from the consumer unit. Not a big job. If you run a 260 from a 13 amp ring, radial or spur, chances are you will trip the circuit under load. Any machine that is purpose built to run on a 13amp circuit will not have the wherewithall to run and perform as well as a machine of a higher rating. Depends on what you want to do I suppose, but its always better to have a machine with something in reserve rather than something working on its limits.
Knife changing is by the traditional method on a Scheppach. IE: all you need to set them is a piece of 2x1 with two pencil lines an 1/8th inch apart/ No jigs or magnets needed.

As for the cabinet. I have never had one on the main one I use. I just built a splay legged stand from dexion and that does just fine.
The other one I bought , the CI version came with a cabinet, and a wheelbase...Seems perfectly adequate......
I bought the first Scheppach about 20 years ago and its still going strong, used most days, and only ever had drive belts changed and cutter knives replaced.......Still works perfectly. Even the rubber on the rollers is in good condition. Just use resin remover to clean them.
As for the CI version, well thats being sold. Perfect condition, but too much attention to gimmicks at the expense of functionality in my opinion

I have never been tempted to have separate thicknesser and surface planer, for one thing you have to find two separate sites in the workshop capable of say 10 feet either side for feed in and out, two sets of extractor pipes and blast gates, and of course two lots of drive belts, and knives to hand.
And I am not short of room.....but find it hard to see the logic of separates without each being manned by individual operators doing a days work on each.
I have never used a Jet machine, Nor Axminster or Dewalt or SIP so cannot comment on them.
My experience is limited ( for planer thicknessers) to Wadkin. Robinson, Multico and Felder......... Plus Scheppach of course..........
and I would choose Scheppach every time for my home workshop

Streepips":ltl1q0x4 said:
I have never been tempted to have separate thicknesser and surface planer, for one thing you have to find two separate sites in the workshop capable of say 10 feet either side for feed in and out, two sets of extractor pipes and blast gates, and of course two lots of drive belts, and knives to hand.
And I am not short of room.....but find it hard to see the logic of separates without each being manned by individual operators doing a days work on each.

the flip side is that if one breaks down you still have the other - and regarding infeed and outfeed ours are on wheels (or in the case of the dw733 on a wheeled station - which also stores knives, belts , tools etc) so we just wheel either out from the wall and use it in the centre of the shop - likewise we have one wandering lead on the dust extraction system which plugs on to either depending which is in use

On thing I don't like about those 'portable' thicknessers is that they are very noisy. No induction motors (they're essentially designed for "site" use), unlike most floor-standing planer/thicknessers. Of course, they all make a racket while they're under load (cutting). But, when running, it's almost like a vacuum cleaner. :?

I've got the AW106PT and it is a good machine for the money. I had some trouble initially getting everything set correctly but Axminster's after sales service was a true godsend! :wink: It is very quiet running (when not cutting) and will run happily on a 13amp supply, even with another machine or extractor in the background.

You do have to remove the fence before you can flip the tables up for thicknessing and, although not necessary, you may also need to remove the bridge guard, if you don't have a lot of space. Most of us on here have found that the thicknesser bed on our machines is about 0.5mm out of parallel from the cutter block... Whether or not this is a serious flaw though, I'll leave that up to you. Dust extraction is pretty disappointing. I've seen much better on some other machines, including the Scheppach 260. Loads of shavings end up left on the thicknessing bed and on your floor after a session. :(

Don't you have to remove the fence with most P/T before thicknessing?

I certenlty do with my Fox F22 10" (similar to the AW106PT)

Not with the Jet p/t's...both beds lift up together so the fence stays on, not sure how good the extraction is. They also need (or should run off) a 20A supply (or type C breaker) in the CU - Rob

Gents

Lots of phone calls, browsing and heeding of advice on here and I thought I had decided on the Axi AW106PT2, which comes in at £700 inc delivery.
Then made the mistake at having a look at Yandles, they've got the Scheppach Hms2600ci http://www.yandles.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/SCH71370901
at £799 with free delivery. Thats quite a big saving on everywhere else i've seen this model.
Lurking in the list somewhere is also the Kity 439 which comes recommended and is a similar price to the axi.
Heeeeelp, have money and my pockets are starting to smoke.

Is the extra £99 for the Scheppach worth it, I think it probably is but would welcome any views/advice

For my two-pennorth, I looked at a wide range before I settled on my P/T. The thing I didn't like about the Scheppach was that the fence was only supported at one end. So there was quite a bit of leverage on the fence which I didn't like. The Axminster is centrally supported IIRC and you can get the cast-iron version for it.

Lost track where we are viz tables on either...cast or ally. Personally I like cast.

Back