outdoor material

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an old black and decker workmate that lives outside. It is worth saving because it is better than the offerings today, but it needs a new top.

Any suggestions for what I could use as a material for the top that will survive sun and rain? I dont care what it looks like and whether it is wood or something else. I dont want to spend a fortune, so I am going to have to look for small amounts or offcuts. the existing is 18mm thick, doubled up on the front edge.

when I say I dont want to spend a fortune, I would rather spend what it needs for the correct material, but would rather avoid buying an 8x4 sheet for the job unless I have to.

Ring around a few local joiner businesses and ask if they have a couple of 18mm plywood offcuts. I did this for one job and a local business was happy to help for nothing but I gave him some beer tokens.

1. Medium or high density polyethylene sheet (available in 20 and 25mm thick, "regrind" high density is cheapest). Contact Perplas or Quadrant Plastics for an offcut or two in appropriate size. Will probably outlast you. Can be a beggar to cut cleanly

2. Phenolic ply, as used for shuttering. Seal the cut edges with epoxy resin. Considerably more durable than any marine or WBP plywood

Don't buy full sheets - ask about offcuts

Last edited:
Couple of offcuts of Tricoya if you know anyone local who uses it, or indeed two off cuts of accoya planed to size

I just used lengths of broken builders planks.....cheap n chearful.....
easy to replace.....no need to worry about the damage u do....
no real need for ply....with prices right now off cuts of ply are saved for something more important....
have 4 work mates....the nicest one has an alloy frame...
also best to keep oiling the hinge rivets and top jaw screw rods......mine live outside all the time...
only thing I hate is those plastic things that stop the feet flapping around when ur setting up.....
can u still buy them....?....the last set I bought years ago broke within a week....

A UV resistant plastic would be best, some thick PVC sheet would be good, even the foam core stuff is pretty dense and you could double or triple the layers. Even in full sun it will last decades.

Resin based worktop like Corian would also be ok, I bet a local kitchen manufacturers would have offcuts big enough for workmate jaws.

when I say I dont want to spend a fortune, I would rather spend what it needs for the correct material, but would rather avoid buying an 8x4 sheet for the job unless I have to.
I've got an original one about 40yrs old now, AND spares are still available! I made a new top by laminating 3/4 birch & 3/8 marine ply, with the marine ply as the top surface. It lives outside but enclosed on 3 sides.

See if you can find some off cuts of iroko science lab bench tops I have used some as garden bench slats and it’s very stable

Back