Outdoor caulk/putty/silicone

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samkilby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I’m replacing an outdoor ballustrade that’s rotten through.
On paintstripping the original sound condition posts, there seems to be a caulk like material pushed in around any junctions.
Any suggestion on what to replace it with ? Seems prudent as I’ve removed most of it now.
It’s in a fairly exposed situation and will be painted over after.

Many thanks

I have been using Sikaflex EBT+ and it seems very good stuff. However, the product data sheet you can access online says it cannot be overpainted which is a limitation that I could not see stated on any other description of it.

For some joints between timber window frame elements I have been using Timba glaze (also for sealing some glazing beading) and I am very impressed with this - this is fully paintable after a short curing period.

Cheers

I use Fix All for most things these days, great as a sealant, adhesive or caulk and over paintable, what else could you want? Think all the polymer based ones like Stix All etc are pretty similar. I presumed Timberglaze was also the same stuff but I found it does taste different when you lick your finger while smoothing the joint 🙃

I know many people swear by CT1, I have never used it as it's twice the price of Fix All etc so would be interested to know peoples opinions on what advantages it has over the cheaper ones?

Google “can you overpaint Sikaflex EBT+” and here a few quotes from the top search results.
  • No, Sika Flex Sealant is not paintable and does not adhere to common quality latex paints
  • Non-corrosive and can be painted over with most water based paints then finished with oil or rubber based paints.
  • Do NOT paint over sikaflex. It will absorb the solvents and the paint will not cure. You'll end up wiping the paint off several days later.
  • Sikaflex Construction Sealant and all of the Sikaflex polyurethane sealants are paintable after cure. Curing typically takes 5 to 7 days
I have managed to overpaint it. My love for Stixall faded when it turned into jelly over time in contact with some resinous wood I used to make a porch.

Back