other toolstorage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jasper Homminga":14tgzhzr said:
Bernhard,

Great system, may be better than a toolcabinet (nearly grown out of mine #-o).

Bernhard":14tgzhzr said:
... a dutch dining table ...
Being dutch I was wondering what makes a table a dutch table? Google got me extension tables, is that what you're making as well?

Jasper

Hello Jasper

I had to learn this lesson as well. Tage Fried and some other article in FWW claim that this is a so called Dutch Pull-Out. I hope that I got this right.

Thank you for the compliment

Bernhard

Bernhard":242acy7l said:
JesseM":242acy7l said:
Very nice. I too have my tools more or less spread out. Currently they are more spread out than I would like. I see you have devised yet another neat and compact way of storing planes. How are the planes kept from falling out? I see they have a bit of a holder at the bottom but what keeps them from rotating out. Could you perhaps give some more pics of the plane holder?

Here we go Jesse,

it is very simple. The board size is about 4 inch = 10 cm and the rail is about 3/4 inch = 2 cm.
some more pic

B966.jpg

You can see better now how the handle rests on the rail

B967.jpg
[/img]

Basically very simple but reliable. Never ever a plane fell down (know wood). The Jacks and Jointers are longer so the tail is stopped by the rail - works also fine.

Cheers
Bernhard

Slippery fingers :oops: Certainly I wanted to say Knock Wood - Sorry

bill d":28qurr42 said:
Lovely stuff, Bernard. Like the others, I like seeing how other people store their tools.
It's surprising how many spanners, allen keys, snips, files etc we use in our woodworking shops. I made the mistake (?) of building separate workshops for wood and metalwork, about 20 metres (I've just backspaced 'yards' by the way, must be geting younger) apart. This ensures that when I want a metalwork tool it's in the other one... Now I'm in the process of duplicating spanner sets, files etc. :( :oops:

Don´t worry Bill, I did the same for my toolbox when working outside the shop.....

Bernhard

Bernhard":3rvskp8k said:
Got this from "woodworking with the router" from Bill Hylton & Fred Matlack - very recommandable book.
That'll be the very book - only borrowed from the library to encourage them in stocking woodworking books of any sort, of course... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":15z22hhq said:
That'll be the very book - only borrowed from the library to encourage them in stocking woodworking books of any sort, of course... :whistle:

Cheers, Alf

Alf, do it again (hammer) as there is a new version out. Coloured pictures - a fellow woodworker hardly able to speak english claims that he got most of their tips/hints only by fotos

Bernhard

I keep meaning to get round to building storage for my small selection of tools - been in my garage 6 months now and still not got round to it, your photos really make me want to do it!

by the way how long does it take to get a collection of tools like that? Is that pretty average - I realise I'm only just starting but feel very under-endowed! :wink:

Just noticed that you have the basis table from festool. I have been seriously considering buying the system and was wondering if you had the saw module is and how good it is ie in terms of accuracy. The ts75 module is out in october and i might consider it as i want something manoeverable. Te problem is there are no reviews online and its driving me NUTS. Sorry to hijack this posting.

Bernhard,

Thanks for sharing. Now I can imagine allot better when you speak of your workshop. But I have the silly hunch there's a whole lot more in these rolling carts. :wink:

Like your plane storage, especially the way you're storing the #45. Except the blades, where do you put all the accessories, rods, depth stops etc.?

Looking at your tool collection, and knowing how fast you built it up, I think your wall space won't suffice anymore one day. :twisted:

Regards,

Marc

Sorry for being late, I was outta town, well in Germany, Freiburg

MarcW":3hwj5jgv said:
Bernhard,

Thanks for sharing. Now I can imagine allot better when you speak of your workshop. But I have the silly hunch there's a whole lot more in these rolling carts. :wink:

Like your plane storage, especially the way you're storing the #45. Except the blades, where do you put all the accessories, rods, depth stops etc.?

Looking at your tool collection, and knowing how fast you built it up, I think your wall space won't suffice anymore one day. :twisted:

Regards,

Marc

Sorry for being late, I was outta town, well in Germany, Freiburg

Hi Marc,

I thought you were lost in your beautiful workshop. Freiburg is the sunny town of Germany. I hope you enjoyed it. What did you do with your dogs?

Talking about the drawers - yes there is more in but that is for the other forum because it is e-powered.

The 45 I keep completely stored like it is and the irons are in the holder beyond the clamp rack.

Concerning the walls you are right. Sometimes I am under the impression that a room should have 8 walls :lol:

Bernhard

nickson71":3omqooqq said:
time wise for collecting tools .......... depends how much spare cash you've got :D

..... and your wife allowes you to spend :p

..... and you need for your projects....

But here I am with Marc you cannot have too much planes :)

Corset":46f7s486 said:
Just noticed that you have the basis table from festool. I have been seriously considering buying the system and was wondering if you had the saw module is and how good it is ie in terms of accuracy. The ts75 module is out in october and i might consider it as i want something manoeverable. Te problem is there are no reviews online and its driving me NUTS. Sorry to hijack this posting.

Corset,

I am really satisfied with the basis from Festool. Although I have to admid I only have the router basis but all the people I know are also happy with the other parts like saw modules and belt sander. It is a great tool which safes you space. All I can say I would go for it again. It also depends how often you are changing from plunge sawing to the stationary part. If this is very seldom it is managable. But I have bought a second router because I was tired of changing.

It goes without saying that the festool is not comparable to a good table saw. I have the Metabo 1688 D (unfortunately no longer produced) but you can find this very often in the bay. In my opinion the festool is a compromise and very useful if you need a good saw outside your shop because of the limited weight.

If you have space and do not need the saw outside of the shop I would consider to buy a larger saw with sliding table etc.

Just my 2 C opinion

Bernhard

Bernhard
Thankyou very much for answering my question it is interesting to hear what actual people whom have the kit and not just the sales people. I forgot to say nice tool storage. I think i either need to have a bit of a ponder over the next couple of months and work out what i really need and work out what i need to compromise. With the scheppacha and metabo compact system they don't seen to align quickly while the festool does. As i have to pack everything away after each session this would be a very large pain. Choices choices choices :?

Corset,

thank you for the compliment :D

If you have to repack everything after your working session than certainly festool basis system is the best. I forgot to say if such a system then it should be festool. I havent seen any other reliable so far.

Another choice (sorry) could be the Mafell Erika. This is supposed to be a very light but reliable saw. Disadvantage this is not in combination with a plunge so. So you have to buy both :cry:

I wish you good luck

Bernhard

Back