other toolstorage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernhard

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

just discussed with Marc and he complained that he has never seen my version of storing tools. I have now managed to get the pictures in and thought it is a good idea to share with you all:

First picture shows the place for the bench planes, chisels etc

B947.jpg

Second picture the home for the block and shoulder planes
B948.jpg

The third with the Stanley 45 and router planes
B949.jpg

The fourth picture shows my bench
B950.jpg

Of course this possibility is not as nice as Marc´s super toolcabinet but it has the advantage that all tools are immediatly accessible and in case of a reorganization you are not limited to a cabinet. OK dust is a question but from time to time I take my Festool CT 22 and that´s it.

The next two pictures are my running project. It is a dutch dining table

B946.jpg

B945.jpg

Hope it was not too boaring.

Cheers
Bernhard

Bernhard":1k4lxzm3 said:
I have now managed to get the pictures in and thought it is a good idea to share with you all
An excellent idea, Bernhard, thank you. =D> Don't know about anyone else, but I find it tremendously useful to see how other people have tackled storing the particularly odd-shaped tools like combination planes and routers - I felt rather let down by The Toolbox Book on that score. You chaps are too darn organised though; I feel horribly ashamed of the atrocious conditions my tools are forced to inhabit. I hang my head in shame. But I also have to ask; why the spoon? :-k

Cheers, Alf

Thank you Alf and Chris,

Alf,

looking at your webside you do not seem to be unorganized. My problem is a fairly small workshop so I have no other option. Indeed I appreciated as well the shop tours to other shops and picked up a lot of ideas. The best one was so far the clamp racked.

Regarding the spoon (very sharp eyes!) I mainly use him to put whiteglue from the 10 Liter bucket into my smaller one. This works well.

Cheers

Bernhard

Very nice,Bernhard :D

I also like to see other peoples solutions to tool storage,always good for new ideas to err...adapt :wink:
And congratulations on a tidy and well-organized workshop.

Andrew

Very nice. I too have my tools more or less spread out. Currently they are more spread out than I would like. I see you have devised yet another neat and compact way of storing planes. How are the planes kept from falling out? I see they have a bit of a holder at the bottom but what keeps them from rotating out. Could you perhaps give some more pics of the plane holder?

Very nice and well organised, Bernhard. I think it can be good to have all the tools immediately accessible - saves a lot of time :wink:

Paul

Alf":1kagllqz said:
Bernhard":1kagllqz said:
I have now managed to get the pictures in and thought it is a good idea to share with you all
An excellent idea, Bernhard, thank you. =D> Don't know about anyone else, but I find it tremendously useful to see how other people have tackled storing the particularly odd-shaped tools like combination planes and routers - I felt rather let down by The Toolbox Book on that score.

I've been considering this problem as well, and haven't come up with a satisfactory solution.

I like it, Bernhard!

Other than having more space and your shop looking better/cleaner than mine, well, and also making nicer cabinets for your tools than I do, we have a lot in common :lol:

Teasing aside, very nice!

Take care, Mike

Lovely stuff, Bernard. Like the others, I like seeing how other people store their tools.
It's surprising how many spanners, allen keys, snips, files etc we use in our woodworking shops. I made the mistake (?) of building separate workshops for wood and metalwork, about 20 metres (I've just backspaced 'yards' by the way, must be geting younger) apart. This ensures that when I want a metalwork tool it's in the other one... Now I'm in the process of duplicating spanner sets, files etc. :( :oops:

Bernhard,
nice tools, nice workshop, and the beginnings of what I am sure will be a nice table.

What is that piece of wood for that is hung up just to the left of the saws?

Andy

Bernhard,

Great system, may be better than a toolcabinet (nearly grown out of mine #-o).

Bernhard":1f90jgzg said:
... a dutch dining table ...
Being dutch I was wondering what makes a table a dutch table? Google got me extension tables, is that what you're making as well?

Jasper

I had a hunch it might be some variey of featherboard/springy clampy thing for some sort of powered device - I'm fairly sure I've seen something like it in one of the tailed router books.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2turlics said:
I had a hunch it might be some variey of featherboard/springy clampy thing for some sort of powered device - I'm fairly sure I've seen something like it in one of the tailed router books.

Cheers, Alf

Not only sharp eyes - also good memory Alf :D
Unfortunately not my idea :( Got this from "woodworking with the router" from Bill Hylton & Fred Matlack - very recommandable book.

Bernhard

MikeW":1q69umvo said:
I like it, Bernhard!

Other than having more space and your shop looking better/cleaner than mine, well, and also making nicer cabinets for your tools than I do, we have a lot in common :lol:

Teasing aside, very nice!

Take care, Mike

Thank you very much Mike

but I know (because I have tried !) you are manufacturing the better saws =D> . They are really something to write home about.

Bernhard

JesseM":1vp8c61l said:
Very nice. I too have my tools more or less spread out. Currently they are more spread out than I would like. I see you have devised yet another neat and compact way of storing planes. How are the planes kept from falling out? I see they have a bit of a holder at the bottom but what keeps them from rotating out. Could you perhaps give some more pics of the plane holder?

Here we go Jesse,

it is very simple. The board size is about 4 inch = 10 cm and the rail is about 3/4 inch = 2 cm.
some more pic

B966.jpg

You can see better now how the handle rests on the rail

B967.jpg
[/img]

Basically very simple but reliable. Never ever a plane fell down (know wood). The Jacks and Jointers are longer so the tail is stopped by the rail - works also fine.

Cheers
Bernhard

Back