Osmo Top Oil Sanding Issue

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbartlett99

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Its been a long time since I posted on here but was hoping someone had an insight into an irritating issue I'm having finishing a maple countertop. Essentially I'm having serious issue with sanding marks showing through the Osamo top oil I'm using - even having sanded to 320 grit (they reccommend 150). Every tiny just prints straigght through.

I've used Polyx quite a lot on cherry and walnut without major issue but this maple is kicking my ass. Any ideas?

Cheers, Mark

Maple is hard and dense especially compared to walnut, I have had issues before similar to what you describe.
I found that sometimes I have moved up a grit and left larger scratches from the previous grit in there, only to notice when applying finish.
One way to check you didn`t miss any is wipe it over with alcohol or white spirit after each grit or at least before finishing it, this helps highlight the scratches you might have missed.
Another is to use a very sharp cabinet scraper as a last pass, this can leave a superb scratch free surface.

Ollie

Often scratches are left over from earlier coarser grits, jumping grit levels too quick can increase the likelihood of leaving these scratches behind.

Thanks to all for your replies. Seems this is a particularly strange plank with serious wild grain and just needs to be sanded much finer than the main countertops. Its was a large wany edged slab complete with knots etc.

While I'm at it does anyone know of an oil which gives a true matt appearance even after two coats? Osmo's spectrum of finish was always limited and matt just means a little less satin. I'd heard Rubio is good but never used it myself.

Thanks to all for your replies. Seems this is a particularly strange plank with serious wild grain and just needs to be sanded much finer than the main countertops. Its was a large wany edged slab complete with knots etc.

While I'm at it does anyone know of an oil which gives a true matt appearance even after two coats? Osmo's spectrum of finish was always limited and matt just means a little less satin. I'd heard Rubio is good but never used it myself.
Tung oil.

I use a product called Woodoc quite a lot, actually prefer it to Osmo. They do a Matt finish, very easy to apply, I just use a cotton cloth, once dry de nib with wire wool and re-apply

Back