Orkney Skiff Intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Here is my latest Intarsia.

Another piece making pretty heavy use of wood dyes.

I know that to dye or not to dye is a much debated subject but it does seem that this is what the buying public prefer.

In relation to another thread on here, I particularly struggle where a pattern/design requires white. All the rest of the colours in this piece are achieved using Chestnut spirit dyes but I haven't been too impressed with their white dye. This piece uses a new one to me that I have just received a tester bottle of. It is a water based dye from Littlefair's and I'm pretty impressed with it and will definitely be ordering a full sized bottle and will try some of their other colours too.

Regards

Phill

P.S. here is a link to the Littlefair's website - https://www.littlefairs.shop/produc...8MLvhkmffeBHAB5wEk1j6xAW1_7-LnKn3AaAqR-8P8HAQ

Attachments

• IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 772
Love it...

About these dyes, are they really thin, would they bleed into one another if you used them adjacently on the same piece of wood?

NazNomad":1k08fl4j said:
Love it...

About these dyes, are they really thin, would they bleed into one another if you used them adjacently on the same piece of wood?

Thanks Naz.

I'm afraid they do tend to. Well certainly the spirit based ones do. I only have white from Littlefairs so can't text theirs but they are also very thin and intended to soak into the wood do suspect that might also run int one another.

Phill

Claymore":30ke6l45 said:
NazNomad":30ke6l45 said:
ps I think Phill's a bit of a Vampire as he always seems to wake up once it goes dark :twisted: :lol:

Maybes :twisted:

I do tend to rise very early (stupid o-clock as my son calls it) at typically between 04:00 - 05:00. Marlene is disabled and is usually ready for bed by around 21:00 at the latest so I go to bed early too, I guess that is what makes me wake so early (doesn't seem to affect her though :? ).

But this regime works for me too as I normally make a myself a coffee and slope off to the office and do my proper work then, which usually means I'm pretty much caught up with all my "real" work by the time she rises, leaving me free to be at hand for her during the day.

That's also why I usually have so much time in my workshop during the day (she usually sits and knits in the next room).

Sorry, long answer....

Phill

Ah, thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to stick to bloomin' painting then.... AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back