Oriental styled tea cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dedee":2i6koanc said:
Tony, so how was the top made. Are those through wedged tenons?

Andy

Hi Andy

The top was cut to dimension and thicknessed first, then through mortises were cut. The curve was roughed on the bandsaw and tidied up with spokeshave, scrapers and sandpaper. The legs taper all the way up to the top, so the underside of the mortise was widened to match the taper using a mortise chisel. Tenons are wedged through which were trimmed flush with a Japanese saw and then sanded to the profile of the top

mickthetree":2aj3u6uu said:
That is a cracking looking piece. Really super.

Any wip shots? Would love to see how it is constructed.

The contrasting woods do look great too.

I hope to knock up a website soon to place all WIP etc. - I nearly completed one a year or two back, but lost it all :(

I'll post a link here when it's done

BradNaylor":12829ekv said:
I'm very impressed, Tony; that's beautiful. I particularly love the oriental styling and the choice of timber.

I can't remember seeing anything you have made before. I had you down as one of the 'All The Gear But No Idea' brigade! :lol:

I was obviously mistaken.

When are you going to get your teeth into one of those Becksvoort chests?

Cheers
Brad

:) No, I do make a lot of stuff. You're right that I do have a lot of handplanes, but I'm not a collector and sell everything I find I don't use (some went on here very recently). Don't really have a 'thing' for tools, but love design and building stuff.

Wrote up 7 or 8 for woody magazines and so didn't tend to put them on here.

Will try to publish more as they are made - next is an oak and beech mobile breadboard/trolley thing. After that a double bed in oak, then a 4-poster in a darker wood (American cherry if I have my way :) ) and finally my dream project, the Becksvoort!! (plus a few boxes along the way)

That is a lovely piece. I think the proportions are brill.
I have just done some work in sycamore and it seems a lovely wood to work with. I just wish it was going to come out looking like yours.

Tony":1cdpgfq5 said:
The top was cut to dimension and thicknessed first, then through mortises were cut. The curve was roughed on the bandsaw and tidied up with spokeshave, scrapers and sandpaper.
I had an idea that's how you might have done it, but the curves looks a bit tight for a shave to me - Rob

Really nice, would love to see a WIP set of pics, especially how you did the curved top!

About to make a similar but larger cabinet in sycamore and would be extremely useful for me.

George

I'd make the top with a sanding drum on the lathe and a bed that can be raised up. I've seen the technique in one of my dad's magazines from the 1980's

Aidan

Very, very attractive piece, Tony.

I think you were absolutely right to advise your client away from large areas of contrast in a piece which already has subtle design features. You've got it just about perfect now.

Very nice. I like that a lot. I think that the doweled drawers look especially interesting - a nice contrast that appears when they are opened and a nice change from the dovetails that I had expected to see.

That is indeed a beautiful piece Tony. Really does look perfect from the contrasting wood to the shape. One question though, what is a beckvoort chest? :?

Tony,

as has been said thats a fabulous piece. I'm tempted to make something similar as it would be appreciated by SWMBO as well as myself - as long as you're happy that imitation is the highest form of flattery!!! :) :)

The design is spot on and has resurrected and idea I've been toying with for a while. I've been considering a three legged high stool with a very oriental look. A single leg rear support with two front legs if you can grasp my meaning and a seat in a style similar to the top of the tea chest.

Its perfect in the minds eye except for the fact that I can't reconcile the connection of the three legs to a four sided seat - design wise rather than structurally.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but if you or anyone else has any thoughts I'd welcome them.

Regards

Eoin

Tony":glakl8sd said:
mailee":glakl8sd said:
That is indeed a beautiful piece Tony. Really does look perfect from the contrasting wood to the shape. One question though, what is a beckvoort chest? :?

Ahhh, a simple but in my eyes near perfect piece that I really want to make - see top of this

http://www.chbecksvoort.com/cases.html
That chest of drawers is pleasant in it's own way Tony, but that sort of stuff doesn't do a great deal for me - Rob

Latest posts

Back