Ordering Direct from Lee Valley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the show we have an exclusively Veritas stand with just about as much Veritas as we can squeeze on it. There will be plenty of planes as we have 3 shipments due between now and the show. You can try and then buy. The whole range will be available for test not just the planes.

We have a campaign to encourage online Veritas retailing just about to start. I will post any new sites that have Veritas.

Thanks to Veritas for a very positive move on pricing.

Martin

Martin,

Hmm, shame about the shaves (feared as much - we should all have shut up instead of saying "wow, good price" :roll: :lol: ) but excellent news on the rest. Deary me, the temptation... :shock: I'm impressed the scraper plane is below the £100 mark; should be a lot of takers I'm guessing. (Anyone care to think of a reason for owning two scraper planes? I'm open to excus-, er, ideas... :wink: )

Right, off to update all the reviews. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

I'm open to excus-, er, ideas... )

C'mon Alf... yer slippin....

They're similar... but not the same... enough of a difference to suggest that they'd be better at some types of stock than others...

Hi Rob,
I can understand your difficulty with your original setup as both a manufacturer and a distributer. The problem is compounded when you export to companies like Brimarc who are distributers and have to make a margin for themselves and give a discount to their retail sales companies before we, the end users, get out hands on the product.

Its good that brimarc sell direct as well as through retailers - this must help their margins although I would bet the retailers grumble about being in competition!

As you say, the world has got much smaller and the impact of the Internet shopping is now really being recognized. I think eventually the "business model" will have to change with companies like Brimarc only selling direct to end users, competitive pressures will eliminate the conventional retailer. In many cases direct manufacturer to end user, even internationally, will probably happen once the efficient collection of shipping/tax/duty issues are resolved

Its great that Brimarc now have the full range and fairly priced - its good to have companies that have a real interest in their customers and distributors like Brimarc who add value and know what they are talking about.

John

Thanks John for your kind words. Really you have summed up the issues pretty clearly. The world is changing. We don't compete with our retailers as we give them margin on business we do directly, for the reason below.

One consumer comment that always comes up is where can I go and see it? This is not only a Veritas issue it relates to all brands and not just BriMarc. The local store will enable you to touch, discuss, moan about what you might buy on a Saturday morning. The shows attract small numbers by comparison to the market. Don't forget your local store too quickly.

Margins have had to be examined by everyone and the internet has had a very positive impact on consumers. Mind you some of my e bay purchases have been a little wobbly. Any one for a hand signed Nick Lowe hand bill from 1976? It isn't his signature.

Again your positive comments are appreciated, when we don't add value we are lost.

Martin and frankly everyone at BriMarc.

PS As I am nervous about a commercial post I welcome email directly on topics.

Don't forget your local store too quickly.

And please don't do the (oft recommended by "clever" people) move of trying, testing and expoliting expertise on an item in a local store, and then surfing net suppliers for the lowest price.

BugBear

I agree but it is hard thing to solve. We try to give everyone a fair crack, local dealers, national mail order companies et al. In the end you cannot stop people deciding for themselves where to order from.

The secret is for a local store to do a really good job and not let anyone out without the chance to order from them.

The local store will also save you money if something is faulty and you always avoid our carriage charge.

Surely local stores are a rather nice way for learning and communication. Not all communications are made through the web. Currently e mail is only 10% of our communication, growing I concede but still by no means the majority.

Martin

Well, I for one have taken Martin up on the 'mention ukworkshop' and ordered the veritas large shoulder plane :D

Now it's time to wait for the delivery...just wish offers like that weren't happening when I was trying to save money and not buy things...but I couldn't resist!

Martin Brown":3juru2x0 said:
My Morris has trafficators. Are they illegal?

Word here, from a colleague who's a '69 Morris Pickup owner is, no they're not, but most people install regular indicators too, cos other inconsiderate road users don't notice the little flip up arms.

Feeble perhaps. (my S1 Landrover had bolt on ones - looked like ears) :D

Greetings,

Got a call today - ParcelFarce were holding my delivery from LV pending payment of £62 customs charges. Paid with gritted teeth :-(

Still it means they arrive tomorrow when I'm visitiing the UK for a long weekend and can take them back with me (not in carry-on though as tools are verboten in carry-on).

£62. How much is that as a percentage of your order value?. I ask cos I've ordered some stuff hoping to save a wad. Hopefully, I'll still come out ahead!

cheers

Ike

My experience is if you select any option other than surface mail, you are guarenteed to get stung for import duty - as the "courier" always charges it. I found they turned up at work one day, and they were able to swipe my card through there and then. On a second occasion, they rang head office on their mobile, gave me the phone, and I paid the duty that way. The only times I've got away with it is using surface mail (every time bar one so far). I've got an order winging it's way from LV as we speak, so it'll be interesting to see if I get stung on that.

Adam

I've got an order winging it's way from LV

Well, my two are probably floating then, cos I went for surface mail to maximise the savings. Seems like the average is about 4-5 weeks, not 8-10.

Ike

ike":12sk0cta said:
I've got an order winging it's way from LV

Well, my two are probably floating then, cos I went for surface mail to maximise the savings. Seems like the average is about 4-5 weeks, not 8-10.

Ike

OK, my are winging it through the water, as I too, went for surface mail. I reckon 1-2 weeks is more common than 4-5.

Adam

Back