LEE VALLEY - VERITAS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just received my latest LV plane directly from Lee Valley Tools.

I bought the BU smooth plane with the PM-V11 blade.

The price, including plane, blade, shipping, courier handling fees and import duty was £203.50.

Compare this to £269.00 asked at Axminster.

Some will say, if the tool is damaged then reurns would be problematic. I have ordered several directly from LV, never had anything other than perfection, as is expected of their tools.

Should a defect be apparent the returns fees including import would still work out cheaper than buying in the UK.

Just a thought if you are thinking of buying LV tools.

David

i have just bought some detail planes from them, although a colleague was in texas for a couple of weeks so is bringing them back.

I found the price to be slightly cheaper than Canadian Tools, although they did not have stock and were being told that the importer could not get the one that I wanted.

Ordering direct also allows you access to the huge range of goods, of which the UK only has a small selection. I got some special nuts to make some clamps, and whilst we can buy the clamps, we cannot get the nuts as a separate item. The clamps are £30 here, $30 there and the nuts $8!

fantastic company to deal with too.

I've been lucky to visit their Toronto store a few times, when my daughter was living there - it's like an Aladdin's Cave - lots of specials not catalogued on sale and their staff are great too. :)

Rod

What I cannot get my head around is the often huge price variances on some tools manufactured overseas. There may of course be other factors of the business world which I do not understand which alter prices. However, the exchange rate means the tools are often half price or less if purchased in the US. The benefit of conducting your shopping this way has to be considered carefully as some tools, due to pricing are not cost effective to shop this way. It's a case of doing your sums on each item.

However, I have often seen British made tools on sale in the US for £/$ equivalent rates similar to here in the UK. As the Americans say "Go figure".

I would also agree with the point raised on spares and component parts, not only for tools but just about everthing. I too purchase many tools and spares from the US, primarily because 1. they are more cost effective 2. They have readily available parts 3. I hate being ripped off.

I also forgot to mention the speed of despatch and delivery.

I placed the order with LV at 14.05 GMT on the Monday. I recieved an email at 14.51 quoting a shipping fee, which I accepted. Later that evening I recieved a telephone call from my credit card company asking me to confirm the purchase, which I did.

The package was delivered to my home on the Wednesday afternoon, just 48 hrs after placing the order. Not bad from N America. This is the norm rather than the exception, certainly for the 3 or 4 packages I have had delivered.

I have done this twice now on both occasions saved a considerable sum and delivered in two working days. We need LV to open a branch in the UK
I have been to the Calgary store several times. My only advise is make sure you put any blades in your hold bag not your carry on bag otherwise any saving is lost :oops:

PAC1":1eptq7bx said:
I have done this twice now on both occasions saved a considerable sum and delivered in two working days. We need LV to open a branch in the UK
I have been to the Calgary store several times. My only advise is make sure you put any blades in your hold bag not your carry on bag otherwise any saving is lost :oops:

A very wise and relevant suggestion, and would of course make perfect sense. However I'm sure a certain company would block an application for the scheme.

Bluekingfisher":12wqi3jc said:
What I cannot get my head around is the often huge price variances on some tools manufactured overseas. There may of course be other factors of the business world which I do not understand which alter prices. ......
The main factor is maximising profits. No mystery involved. The one you buy it from has got the marketing balance right (in your case).

One significant factor in UK retail prices is VAT. I'm not sure what the tax position is in the USA or Canada, but I suspect they don't have purchase taxes of 20% on virtually everything.

The issue of VAT is relevant.

Tax in the USA, varies state to state. However somewhere around 6 - 7% is the norm, catering foir both Federal & state taxes.

You ask any American how they consider the rate they pay, most consider it exuberent. They usually calm down to a frenzy when I tell them we pay 20%.

Come to think of it, the relative costs of running a business in North America and in the UK probably have a bearing, too. There's a lot more land in N.A., so rents and business rates are probably lower, and the cost of employing people (employer's NI contributions are 11 to 12%, I think, in the UK - no idea whether such costs are imposed on business in N.A.). Then there's such things as energy costs, Corporation tax, etc., all of which must ultimately be paid by the customer, since most businesses nave no other income source.

I would hazard a guess that the costs of running a business in the UK are significantly higher than in either the USA or Canada. Hence the higher UK price to the customer.

Jacob":34a9np27 said:
Bluekingfisher":34a9np27 said:
What I cannot get my head around is the often huge price variances on some tools manufactured overseas. There may of course be other factors of the business world which I do not understand which alter prices. ......
The main factor is maximising profits. No mystery involved. The one you buy it from has got the marketing balance right (in your case).

While that is undoubtedly true to an extent, I believe there's more to it than that. I was in NZ about 15 yrs ago, and looking through the tools shops I found I could buy Marples chisels there for less than half the price they were in this country, and Estwing hammers for just over a third. I brought back 18v Dewalt stuff and after paying (both countries) vat and import duties they were still under half the cost they were here. No one could argue in the case of the Dewalt and the Estwing that the difference was anything to do with freight - the USA to NZ is not that different to the USA to this country. There are not many everyday items (as opposed to Jewellery, fashion, etc.) that carry a large enough mark up to cover that sort of difference - I suspect there are import duties and hidden taxes and charges in operation as well.
We pay more than others, that's for sure.

Bluekingfisher":2wogsk4w said:
PAC1":2wogsk4w said:

A very wise and relevant suggestion, and would of course make perfect sense. However I'm sure a certain company would block an application for the scheme.

You mean any such plan might get Axed!

The price, including plane, blade, shipping, courier handling fees and import duty was £203.50.

Hello,

Did the £203.50 include VAT?

Because apparently you have to pay VAT on goods bought from outside the EU if they cost more than £15.

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm :
If you order or purchase goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:

Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

If you did pay VAT, then the price difference is huge.

I simply paid the customs duty they asked for I assume that as it was HMRC asking if VAT was payable it included VAT. The saving was of the same magnitude as described by the OP

JohnPW":3r5xpg8e said:

Hello,

Did the £203.50 include VAT?

Because apparently you have to pay VAT on goods bought from outside the EU if they cost more than £15.

From http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm :
If you order or purchase goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you have to pay:

Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

If you did pay VAT, then the price difference is huge.

Yep, as mentioned, including import duty.....£203 all in

PAC1":2zarjdos said:
Bluekingfisher":2zarjdos said:
PAC1":2zarjdos said:

You mean any such plan might get Axed!

Very cryptic, but yes.... Axed :D

Why would Lee Valley/Veritas need to make an application or get permission to open a tool shop in UK? :?

Roughcut":2iufizrc said:
Why would Lee Valley/Veritas need to make an application or get permission to open a tool shop in UK? :?

Someone might have an exclusive distribution agreement for Veritas in the UK

Latest posts

Back