Orange Broadband

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabaxi

Reaction score
Hi like a lot of people here I was having terrible trouble trying to get connected on the orange broadband, no service every night from 4:30 till 1:00AM and the same all weekend, (and that’s not bad some people have been unable to connect for weeks) kids complaining can’t do their homework you know what its like. I decided enough’s enough and started to look for a new ISP. There’s good and bad comments on all of them, but finally decided on BT option 3, it had everything I wanted new broadband phone and free calls evening and weekend thrown in, and even after the three month offer I save my self £3!! Yeah not a lot I know but I can put it towards a new mag.
So I phoned orange and got my MAC code which they must send to you in 3-5 days free of charge, I entered it in the box on the BT web site, picked a date, job done. Equipment arrived on the day they said it would connected it no problems all working, no loss of internet at all.
Have not been disconnected once and a noticeable difference in speed. Don’t put up with it any longer vote with your feet it really was easy.

Couldn't agree more I've had that option for several months and only had a little trouble in the first week, but as soon as I got rid of Mcassfee and Norton and took Argee's advice on security it's worked beautifully.
Touch wood, damn anyone got a piece of wood.

Dom

hi cabaxi, i was in the same boat with orange and got the same option, well chuffed after 6 months, its nice you got it sorted. \:D/

I agree you did the right thing in moving away. Wish I could have done the same but due to contractual obligations with my new contract (needed to be at least one month without connection or face a demand for £200) felt obliged to stay.

I am still having issues with Orange - seems they have capped speed at 1Mbps. Previously getting around 3Mbps. So looks like another round of calls to customer support.

Hope you have a better experience with BT

Cheers :D
Tony

TonyW":2g2ixo2y said:
I agree you did the right thing in moving away. Wish I could have done the same but due to contractual obligations with my new contract (needed to be at least one month without connection or face a demand for £200) felt obliged to stay.

I am still having issues with Orange - seems they have capped speed at 1Mbps. Previously getting around 3Mbps. So looks like another round of calls to customer support.

Hope you have a better experience with BT

Tony

Tony take a look at this. It may not be orange but BT or your wiring connections

http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/p ... _cats=346#

Something I didn't know was the automatic monitoring of the line to give you maximum speed ensuring no data lose

Hope that helps

Andy

Tony, I would have thought that you could get out of your contract by quoting the Sale of Goods and Services act.

Here's a little snippet from the act on moneysavingexpert

Goods/services are of 'satisfactory quality' - products must last a reasonable time and be free of defects.

Goods/services are 'as described' - a trader or advertisement must honestly describe the product. If, for example, you buy a broadband product that doesn't deliver what was advertised you have a case.

Fit for purpose - products must do what the supplier says they do.

Andy - Thanks for the link. Very interesting tried most things mentioned in the article in the past.. I do not think that it is the BT line. I know that the speed has been capped in the past (confirmed by Orange at 2Mb although I can get no more than 1Mb!) and now I am waiting for Orange to pull their finger out and allow me max speed.

Slimjim81":2wjgbrvw said:
Tony, I would have thought that you could get out of your contract by quoting the Sale of Goods and Services act.
Me too!! When I contacted Orange to ask for my MAC I was put through to someone that advised me that as I had signed a 12 month contract - asking to cancel this would incur charges (£200 I think).

I did point out the Sale of Goods act - referring to goods fit for purpose etc. I also informed them that it is Orange that is clearly in breach of contract by its inability to deliver the promised service. I also mentioned they would be reported to Offcom - did not follow this up though as I believe Offcom will not take up individual cases!

The killer point for me was that I was then informed under the contract I could pull out without penalty only after 1 month without service.

As there were only a few days left for a month without service I decided to wait for this period and then cancel. Actually at that point I was quite confident that I would be changing provider - and looking forward to it!

I could not believe it when my connection finally came on line - approx 2 days left from the 1 month without service.

I probably should have pushed harder and earlier for getting out of the contract - truth is I desperately needed my connection back and was initially taken in by the ******** being fed to me by Orange.

Thanks for your comments though - I should have followed this through more aggressively

Tony

Tony
I was sent an e-mail a couple of years ago about upgrading my connection speed from 2mb to 8mb for a one off payment of £20, which I did. When I phoned orange to get my MAC code they told me that I could only get a max speed of 2mb, they did not tell me that when I gave them my £20 or after, offering me a refund. I speed tested this connection last night and am getting 4.7mb. so much faster.
good luck Mark

Tony
Have you tried the speed test in the link.
Unlike other speed tests this one actually states what speed your line is set at and the actual speed you are getting

Also have you tried the quiet line test (17070 option 2)
any noise on the line will affect your speed and line connection

Andy

I had trouble when I changed from cable to landline. Bulldog, my new isp tested the line, advised me to make sure the computer was the first point and not on an extension, went through everything but nothing helped. Just by chance I removed a graphics card as I wanted to try a different one but I didn't fit the new one, lo and behold, no more trouble. I have left the computer with the in-built graphics and have no bother whatsoever.

Latest posts

Back