Optimization software for sheet materials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if there was a (free!) piece of software out there for optimizing cutting lists when using sheet materials. Has anyone used one?

Thanks for any assistance.

Cheers,

Karl

I asked a similar question recently and got several useful suggestions. The one I settled on is called MaxCut and it really is free.

Download it here.

regards

Brian

Great. Thanks Brian!

Now I need to find a PC to try it out - sometimes I regret buying a Mac!

Thanks again.

Or you can just follow the rule of thumb which I trot out every time this question comes up (often), which is:
Proceed through your cutting list in descending order of size, always cutting biggest pieces first from smallest piece available. You might have to think carefully about orientation but in the end it'll probably do just as well as software and be a lot quicker and self correcting as you go.

Having struggled with trying to workout the most economical way to cut a wide variety of pieces from a single sheet, I found MaxCut after asking on this forum and I will never look back. It is simplicity itself to use and only takes a few minutes to type in all your pieces. As far as I'm concerned there's now no other way to do it.

Each to their own I guess.

regards

Brian

Just looked at maxcut and see you need Microsoft's Net 4 download to use it. Does anybody know what Net 4 is please?

I don't want to end up with more programes on my laptop to slow it down, but do like the look of maxcut.

Jacob":4tg273b8 said:
Or you can just follow the rule of thumb which I trot out every time this question comes up (often), which is:
Proceed through your cutting list in descending order of size, always cutting biggest pieces first from smallest piece available. You might have to think carefully about orientation but in the end it'll probably do just as well as software and be a lot quicker and self correcting as you go.

Jacob - Dark ages!! Come on, be a little more open minded

I use max cut for pricing my jobs up now, very swift and easy once you have put all the panel sizes in.

Charlie Woody":23aft94r said:
Just looked at maxcut and see you need Microsoft's Net 4 download to use it. Does anybody know what Net 4 is please?

I don't want to end up with more programes on my laptop to slow it down, but do like the look of maxcut.

Dot Net is just a programming environment. Look at it as a sort of update to Windows. Nothing to worry about and if you don't download it now you'll be asked to again before too long.

regards

Brian

mark270981":22477esp said:
Jacob - Dark ages!! Come on, be a little more open minded ...
I'd be quite open minded about a software solution if I had a big enough turnover but for most small operators it'd take up more time than it was worth, compared to the rule of thumb. See conversations above - lots of fussing about with software before you can even begin the learning curve!
Another big plus of the rule of thumb is that it incorporates all your offcuts in the process.

Jacob":13ktikyu said:
mark270981":13ktikyu said:
Jacob - Dark ages!! Come on, be a little more open minded ...
I'd be quite open minded about a software solution if I had a big enough turnover but for most small operators it'd take up more time than it was worth, compared to the rule of thumb. See conversations above - lots of fussing about with software before you can even begin the learning curve!
Another big plus of the rule of thumb is that it incorporates all your offcuts in the process.

but the software is free and very very easy to use.

input item sizes, input quantity, input what panels are required. click a button and its all done for you, it will tell you how to cut the panels, what your wastage is, how many panels you need, how much it will cost you, and how much you are selling it out for, it will also work out how much edging you need if thats a required item. much quicker than your rule of thumb i am sure.

Hi Mark

I have been following this thread and decided to try MaxCut. It is certainly easy to input the materials, parts list etc and give a quick and easy cutting list which can be printed off in a number of different styles.

It also as you say allows you to input the price for the materials. However, I have been unable to get it to differentiate between the full sheet cost and part sheet cost i.e. if I used only about a quarter of a sheet it would show on the invoice the full sheet cost but show that only a quarter was used. If I was a professional I don't think the customer would be happy to get charged for something they did not receive.

So I am intrigued by your comment "how much it will cost you, and how much you are selling it out for" as I as yet do not see how it does this. Could you please explain how you do this and if you know how to resolve the part sheet costing I mention above?

Back