Open Handle Backsaws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Disston never carried an open-handled backsaw in its catalog, with the exception of the "Jackson" brand backsaw in the late 19th century and the "Davis" in the early 20th century. Jackson was a second-line brand with lesser quality in materials and finish than the Disston brand saws. It is shown with an open handle in the 1890 catalog. Later the Jackson saw was made with a closed handle only. Davis was of similar quality and featured an open handle in the 10 and 12 inch lengths. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/openhandle.html

If we discount Disston's #68 & #70 Dovetail Saws, and the example listed above; its a little puzzling as to why Disston restricted their range of backsaws to closed handles only under their own brand. Provided the handle wood Disston were using was well seasoned; and the forward weight of the saw blade assembly is restricted within reason, weakness within its design makes little sense if you take into account the range of open handle backsaws being offered from u.k saw makers pre 1900.

I am currently working on some 12 inch open handle tenon saws; fitted with 0.020 saw plate; and thought it an interesting topic of discussion.

Stewie;

Stewie,

Josh Clark (Hyperkitten) had an open handled Disston backsaw for sale this past week. It is still shown on his website, if you scroll nearly to the bottom.

That's an interesting point, Stewie - it had never really occurred to me that open-handled backsaws were a rarity in North America. Here in the UK, they seem to be ten-a-penny on a certain well-known auction site, many of them about a century or more old and still servicable given a clean and sharpen. Most seem to fetch about £10 to £20, with the occasional early or very smart example going for more. The larks perusing the car-boot sales can find them for much less.

Thus, your point about the weakness of handle design making little sense does seem to be supported by quite a lot of evidence, though the use of beech by most UK sawmakers may have some bearing on this, as I suspect it's a bit less brittle than Disston's favoured handle-wood apple.

Having bought and used several vintage open-handled saws, I find them very servicable and balanced in use. It's not a handle design that suits large saws I think, but it works very well for smaller ones.

Maybe its just down to sales figures your average house building carpenter would get through a lot more rip saws than small brass back saws. Reading an article this morning on Queen Victoria and Elizabeth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34112486

UK population
1837 = 16m 1901 = 32.5m

Then the USA population from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demograph ... ted_States

1840= 17.1m 1900 = 76.2m

So that's one eck of a population explosion and house building boom.

I'd also wager the American houses were bigger and used a lot more wood than the thousands of Victorian brick terraces surrounding me in this grim Northern mill town.

My argument does slightly fall apart though when you think that people would have furnished all those houses with smaller bits of furniture. Then again didn't someone say recently on here that mass produced furniture started a lot earlier in the States than over here in the UK ?

Had to edit my earlier post to note that the saw Josh had for sale, is an open handled Disston. Another edit on my part, after thinking about the various items in my accumulation, I have an open handled Disston backsaw! It was made by Disston, stamped "Disston", built for the MF small miter box, 15-1/2 (which I also have).

Tony Zaffuto":9g0tx3eg said:
Had to edit my earlier post to note that the saw Josh had for sale, is an open handled Disston. Another edit on my part, after thinking about the various items in my accumulation, I have an open handled Disston backsaw! It was made by Disston, stamped "Disston", built for the MF small miter box, 15-1/2 (which I also have).

Hi Tony

I have replied to this on SMC as well.

Your 12" open-handled Disston was not made for the #15 1/2 mitre box. I would guess that this Disston is just a 12" tenon saw with a worn plate. The plate on the #15 1/2 saw (which was closed handled and 16" long) was 2 1/2" deep.

Here is the original ...

_57-9_zps7wxc7x0a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

If we discount Disston's #68 & #70 Dovetail Saws, and the example listed above; its a little puzzling as to why Disston restricted their range of backsaws to closed handles only under their own brand.

Logically, the reason would be ..

1. Disston was the premier label, so the best saws were sold under this.
2. The heavy duty saws were only made with a closed handle. This included tenon saws.
3. Closed handles were, ipso facto, viewed as stronger and preferred by contractors looking for a more durable design.

Regards fro Perth

Derek

If we discount Disston's #68 & #70 Dovetail Saws, and the example listed above; its a little puzzling as to why Disston restricted their range of backsaws to closed handles only under their own brand.

Logically, the reason would be ..

2. The heavy duty saws were only made with a closed handle. This included tenon saws.
3. Closed handles were, ipso facto, viewed as stronger and preferred by contractors looking for a more durable design.

Regards fro Perth

Derek

Hi Derek. Appreciate your thoughts.

Not sure that statement is accurate.

Makes perfect sense.

The description of contractor is wide ranging within the woodworking trade. A Carpenter would not view a high need for a tenon saw. Joiners and Cabinet Makers is a different story. Was there market demand for open handle backsaws. Page 82; https://books.google.com.au/books?id=17 ... ws&f=false

ps; Excellent work with the Mitre Box Saw.

regards Stewie;

Back