Carboot finds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
SAM_0001.JPG

A Disston No7 back saw of about 1900-17 vintage, and a fret saw of unknown make or age.
Comments on the fret saw are welcome, it's very well made, and has a deeper throat than modern ones, the only marking is "S" on the top of the throat.

SAM_0007 - Copy.JPG

The stamp on the backsaw has a misspelling!
It should read "Henry Disston &sons" but actually reads "&sonc".
I'm going to reblade this saw, now where can I get a new 14inch long, 3.75inch deep, 12 T.P.I cross cut saw plate?
The teeth only need to be punched out as I'll sharpen them myself.
The handle has the feel that only comes from decades of use, and care, I think around 1.5 inches have been sharpened off this blade, over the last century.

Bod

Attachments

• SAM_0001.JPG
    SAM_0001.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 2,673
  • SAM_0007 - Copy.JPG
    SAM_0007 - Copy.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,673
Nice finds! Look forward to seeing them cleaned up, especially the fretsaw as you don't see old ones of them very often.

Well the deed has been done.
IMG_0567.jpg

I was lucky and found a donor saw the right size.
I am now the owner of a "Frankensaw" Disston handle and back, unknown blade.
The only marking on the donor was 1943 and the minstry broad arrow. The handle was held on by plated rivets, could this have come from the States during the war, might it have been a government contract, filled by Disston........

The Fret saw, it will not fit in my tool chest, no matter how I try, so I'm going to let it go.

Bod
PS Spare handle and folded steel back also avaible.

Attachments

• IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2,387
Smashing finds!

I get many tools from the local bootsales, Only trouble is that I can't get in my garage to use them until I get around to putting my new shed up! (Which has been in the garage too for six years!! :lol: )

I found this old dovetailing jig complete with all three cutters at the bootsale a few weeks ago for £4..
uLzfS1Z.jpg

This jointer planer was £10..
dUMuHKs.jpg

Mitre saw for £5
Em5anoZ.jpg

3" Python G clamps, Can't remember how much I paid but it wouldn't have been much!!
9k3sSsX.jpg

An old Glaziers putty knife, Think it was 50p!!
2q3QQGl.jpg

After I cleaned it up on the belt sander and fitted new scales :wink:
BmfSnJF.jpg

I bought a small Unimat ML1 lathe too! It doesn't look like it's ever been used and came with extras, Dividing head, Flycutter, Polishing kit etc and was only £65..
F2JbnQ4.jpg

The lathe is actually a kit that can be made in to six different tools and was made in Austria!
eC5pK2a.jpg

Old screwdrivers/Turnscrews, 50p for the three!
UWBKrqW.jpg

I'm hoping this thundery weather will have gone by morning!! :cry:

Cheers, John :p

Bod":7yx2mrw8 said:
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/index.html
Reveals all things Disston.
Check the age of your saw carefully, if it is "a son" rather than "sons" then that is quite a find in the UK.

Bod

Will have a closer look tomorrow

Fantastic bargains there John! The price on that jointer is, well :shock: although I suppose the Unimat was actually the best deal of these. I don't even want to think what the asking price on either of those would be over here.

Johnbaz.

A nice selection of finds. The Arcoy dovetail jig is nice, but the instructions are probably worth the most. They are like gold dust. Most owners lost them after they got used to the tool.

Not to teach egg-sucking, but:

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to attach one of the old Bosch router bodies to it. The shaft of the cutter holder might ruin a collet, and a router might be too fast for the original cutters.

Put some wet and dry strips on the face clamps. Helps the grip. The one I had was fine, but it was difficult to tighten the work face clamps so they didn't slip. I usually tightened mine with adjustable-jaw pliers!

There was a firm who made TCT cutters to fit these jigs.

It is okay for making kitchen drawers up to 9 inches deep, but I never used it for anything else. It works best with hardwood, but you have to take it easy.

HTH

John

Bod":2cx2u8sp said:
http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/index.html
Reveals all things Disston.
Check the age of your saw carefully, if it is "a son" rather than "sons" then that is quite a find in the UK.

Bod

Just been in the workshop

It is " and sons " not " and son "

:)

Today's haul was slightly larger than usual

Only started car booting a few weeks ago and I have seem to have gotten addicted

That's quite a haul you've got there, you'd better settle down and sort them out before you go buying more work :)

Not many tools where I was yesterday but I had to come away with an old steel knife and fork (the sort you can eat your dinner with). The knife is made by Wingfield Rowbotham & Co, the same maker as one of my hand saws so I just had to buy it. I'd better watch it in case I get into full on collecting. Arggggghhh!

LuptonM":3bioro87 said:
Today's haul was slightly larger than usual

Only started car booting a few weeks ago and I have seem to have gotten addicted

Some nice items there - low knob Stanley included. Hope you're not paying big and driving up prices for the rest of us!

BugBear

I have to admit I am a bit of a cheap skate. I don't like paying a lot unless it was a good piece in its day and is in good condition.

The planes were between £1.50 and £3 each. Don't even need another no4 but at that price I couldn't say no.

Bow saw was £4, the four black stanley chisels £8 for the lot, sorby turning chisel £2, Rabone square + sliding bevel +eclipse honing guide £4 for the lot, faithful coping saw 50p, saw set £1.

Got the old Thomas Turner 14" tenon saw in the background for £1. Handle is a little bust as it has woodworm and has sort of turned into dust in the shape of a handle. The blade has a some kinks and the brass back is curved. For this price it will give me some experience maintaining my own saws, though I am not quite sure how I will get the kinks out (ie the small S shaped curves). However on the plus the teeth aren't too bad.

The rest of the tools are the ones my dad bought. He's even cheaper than me!

Last week I only go a handful of things. Notably a dual scotch hone for £3 and a mangled rusty Buck saw for 50p

I am half way through restoring the buck saw. The blade was bust as it lost its spring at the end so have replaced it. The saw nuts are really hard to get in and out and the brass back is bent so needs to be straightened. This is as far as I have got so far with the Buck saw:

LuptonM":93kikk6l said:
The blade was bust as it lost its spring at the end so have replaced it.

Can I ask where you got the replacement blade as I have a saw with a very thin, very blunt, very flexible wavy blade that needs one?

LuptonM":3gpef8rh said:
Today's haul was slightly larger than usual...
Today's haul? :shock: Man I wish I lived near you! Here I'd be lucky if I could pick up that amount of gear in a full year, and it would probably cost ten times as much.

All of that looks worth having but one or two rarer gems there, congrats.

You can get some saw blades from fine tools in "make you own saw" section. Alternatively you can get them from the source Blackburn tools (they have a larger range of sizes). The blades are meant for slotted backs which means they aren't as deep. Ideally it would be nice to get them slightly oversized so you can shape it to your project but I haven't found anywhere which can do it.

Back