Backsaws;

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week when I was sorting through some of my earlier made backsaws, and took some new photo's.

18 inch tooth line; handle wood is American Black Walnut.

16 inch tooth line; handle wood is Tasmanian Tiger Myrtle.

18 inch tooth line, with a D8 style extension of the saw plates heel.

The slot for along the bottom rail was cut to a depth of 5mm using 40mm slitting blade mounted to a router table. Note; the top mounting flange on the slitting saw holder I use has an OD of 30mm.

For cutting the slot around the cheek line and spine mortise I normally use a 50mm slitting blade to achieve an initial slot depth of 10mm. The remaining depth of cut was completed using a backsaw of matching kerf width. (tooth set removed)

These type of slitting blades are designed to be run at low speed to minimize vibration. The greater the OD of the slitting blade, the greater the potential for vibration to occur. Personally I prefer not to exceed an OD of 50mm. Excessive vibration will result in the slot turning out oversize.

The following shows the type of 1/2 shank holder I use. The graduated steps allows the user a greater choice of inner bore sizes that are common within the range of slitting blades available.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... 1syzPHTczh

The gauge of saw plate used on backsaws can vary in thickness from 0.015, 0.018, 0.020. 0.025, to 0.032 on large mitre box saws. As the backsaws depth and length are further increased, the saw maker should also incrementally increase the gauge of saw plate used. By doing so, his actions will mitigate the potential of heat distortion below the unsupported spine.

As I am working with both side and end grain to round over the saw handles profiles, I avoid the use of routers, preferring instead to use a variety of dedicated hand rasps. The following is one of those dedicated rasps sold by Logier in France. http://www.hand-stitched-rasp-riffler.c ... -rasp.html

Further smoothing work is carried out using a range of sandpaper grit cut into thin strips for ease of use. Coats of Amber or Garnet Shellac are then included between each change in sandpaper grit, to effectively fill in, and generate a depth in top coat thickness over the handle woods face, side and end grains.

The Shellac I use is de-waxed, and is sold in flake form, ready for mixing with Denatured Alcohol. (100% Methylated Spirits).

lovely saw Stewie - did you copy the handle details from any particular historical saw, or is it your own design? It is beautifully done!

Nick; the shape of the handles as seen within the above backsaws are based on earlier historic designs. Some of the finer details have been altered to suit my own style of work.

Prior to taking a long break from backsaw making, I put together a portfolio of 6 different handle patterns to work from. 4 closed handle, and 2 open handle. Each pattern was then resized via pdf to give me the option of 4 different hand sizes to work from. I still have an ample supply of different gauged saw plate, brass hardback, saw bolt assemblies, as well as dedicated tooling in the workshop. When and if I get back to building some new backsaws is something that's not on the present radar. regards Stewie;

Stewie I've said it before and I'll say it again...
Beautiful work =D> =D>

That Tasmanian Tiger myrtle is stunning. The paler tone on the horns makes it look very time worn - very nicely chosen piece of wood.

Back