Open for Critique

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
_________ ___ ___

_________ click on images for larger view

_________ ___ ___

_______________Horse Chestnut with Walnut Collar.___(195mm D X 90mm H)___Melamine laquer finish

oldsoke":359jlu4a said:
They're a bit round Chas :lol:

Thats about as useful as " Nice Finish", 'what is it other than a dust trap' which is the only other comment so far. :roll: :D

Edit: by the way Welcome back to these fair shores.

Hi Chas. Like the colour, and the shape is quite good. Finish looks excellent.

I'm not too keen on the neck, I don't think I would have flared the neck out. I would have tapered it in, in a gentle curve to follow the vessel shape a little.

My little bit for what it's worth! :wink:

PS. You didn't get some hints off that video, did you? :lol:

Lovely piece of work there Chas :D
Makes me want to pick it up and see it glide down the ice (curling watsit)
Lovely colour,and shape on the wood and looks a lovely finish.
Not sure though about the Walnut neck piece,think i'd have prefered it in the same piece,if it was possible.
Hope that was more useful :wink:
Paul.J.

HI

Overall I like it but there are a couple of things I am not sure about.

In some of the pictures, 1 & 4, the top seems to be very flat in others, 2 & 3, it seems to have more of a curve to it. I don't know which it is but I prefer the cuvier look.

The only thing I don't like about it is the foot, I think it is too big. It spoils the curve of the side a bit when you can see the flat bit underneath it. I think it would have been better if you had continued the curve of the side round to about the same size as the collar and finished it there without a distinct foot, if you see what I mean.

Just my 2d worth.

john

Chas, you need to cut it in half so we can see how well you did the hollowing. Until then I can't give a critique. :wink:

My first impression was 'I don't like that!' mainly because the graining and figuring didn't seem to go with the gentle shape. Blown up and seeing it better I have to say it works.

Your usual impeccable finish. Like the lovely curve on it and I do like the collar.

Only question I have is this, I remember you saying that you preferred making useful things rather than 'arty' things. What would you use this for? :?:

Pete

I am not a turner so can only give a laymans critique.
The colouring and finish are lovely but to my eye the mouth doesn't look quite right, this may be a difficult thing to achieve but as I said I don't know.
It looks as if it should either be thicker or not there at all.
Hope you don't mind a non turner commenting.

Dom

DomValente":305kr2w0 said:
Hope you don't mind a non turner commenting.
Dom

Not at all Dom, only wish a few more 'non turners' would join in.
It's the only way to get some balance in perceptions, talking amongst ourselves, turners that is, does little to further the cause.

Bodrighy":1mok7va1 said:
Only question I have is this, I remember you saying that you preferred making useful things rather than 'arty' things. What would you use this for?

Don't you start :roll: First comment I got was:
"Nice Finish", 'what is it other than a dust trap'

I felt like it didn't I, so there! [-(

:lol: :lol:

Bodrighy":jh8jlcr1 said:
..... mainly because the graining and figuring didn't seem to go with the gentle shape. Blown up and seeing it better I have to say it works. .....

Pete, when I looked at the piece the figuring was such that it looked as though most of it would be wasted if turned into a bowl, as I started to round it up, it took on the look of a large glass marble so I rough sanded it and left it for a while and did something else, then came back to it for a second coating of looking at and decided to try the arty thing just for a change.

CHJ":27epobdt said:
Bodrighy":27epobdt said:
Only question I have is this, I remember you saying that you preferred making useful things rather than 'arty' things. What would you use this for?

Don't you start :roll: First comment I got was:
"Nice Finish", 'what is it other than a dust trap'

I felt like it didn't I, so there! [-(

:lol: :lol:

Why do I have a suspicion that a certain little lady wouldn't like my stuff one little bit? :lol:

Pete

I like it and prefer it to most of the work that you post, but then it's closer to the style of turning that I tend to prefer to do myself so that's no surprise.

My first thought was that the base is a little too wide and the lower surface could have curved in a little more. I'd have aimed to get the base diameter closer to that of the collar so they would look more balanced. As it is it maybe looks a little heavy.

Like others have mentioned, the collar doesn't quite work. It might have been better not to have it curving back - if the top surface was more curved (either curving in or out) then the curving back collar might have worked better, but as it is I think a simpler one might have been best.

I'm also thinking that the grain in the collar is perhaps a little too striking and detracts from the interesting grain and colouring in the body of the piece.

The finish looks good but it's so hard to tell from a photo.

Hope you find the comments useful

Duncan

I hope you don't mind a newbie being crtitical but I love the grain the colours and shape the only thing I don't like is the finish I have a thing about spraying laquer onto wood. I know it gives it a fantastic look but it takes away the feel of the wood.
Sorry only my opinion
Cheers Ken

Ken Furminger":bpietlga said:
I hope you don't mind a newbie being crtitical but I love the grain the colours and shape the only thing I don't like is the finish I have a thing about spraying laquer onto wood. I know it gives it a fantastic look but it takes away the feel of the wood.
Sorry only my opinion
Cheers Ken

Don't mind at all Ken, everyone to their own preferences, actually the finish is hand applied and hand burnished not sprayed, admittedly spraying would have been easier.
The high gloss finish was chosen to get maximum reflected light as the colours in the finished turning seemed rather flat, the object of the exercise was to do something different to my norm.

Back