OOPS!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
:) I was going to scrap this piece of walnut because of the huge split where a branch had rotted but there was some very nice wood surrounding the rot.
I like to experiment so decided to inject the split with coloured resin to see what results would look like :lol:

someone could have a strange christmas prezzie coming :lol:

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/dattwood/resinbowl04.jpg?t=1213825328

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/dattwood/resinbowl02.jpg?t=1213826511

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s100/dattwood/resinbowl01.jpg?t=1213826599

Hi Dean,
I like what you did with the bowl, a very attractive piece in my opinion.
It looks more like copper beech to me than walnut, but either way its very nice.
regards, beejay

Very nice :D lovely flowing curve,and the rim just finishes it off beautifully.
I agree with Pete - it's better with it than it would have been without 8)

Andrew

Thats a "Belter" Dean .... FWIW, As per the other comments, i think its fantastic.
Also - really keen on the shape of the finished article, very easy on the eye !
Teriffic bit of improvisation... I'd call that a resounding success !
8) 8) 8)

Thanks for all replies :)

I've started the same trick on a small piece of elm burr, it's not as easy to get the resin where you want it to go and stay there but it's getting there slowly :roll: , I've also added some resin to another bowl which makes a nice little feature plus it covers up the mistake I made 8)
I'll post pics of both when they're finished, I've had a couple more ideas I'm going to try when the right piece of wood comes along :)

Good looking piece Dean, you certainly controlled the swirling grain structure well, I particularly like the symmetry of the rim bead detail.

Well here's the bowl that needed a cover up job 8) I didn't allow for enough wood where the sycamore and elm meet and by the time I had got the lines right the sycamore was was paper thin, I used masking tape to keep the resin in place until set then put it back on the lathe and turned the resin to shape :)

sycamoreelmresin.jpg
[/img]

sycamoreelmbottom.jpg

Again a really nice rescue job. I suspect that the elm and sycamore wouldn't have looked as good without the band of resin, too close in colour to really show. Is the wood really that colour? looks very femenin if so

Pete

Well rescued Dean, I like the porcelain like lines of that piece, as Pete says the resin accentuates the wood contrast.

Don't know if I would have preferred the top flange to have been constant thickness as opposed to fared towards the corners but a very commendable effort that most here would have been proud to produce.

Thanks Pete, yes the elm is the natural colour, it was a platter with four face plate screw holes all the way through :oops: :lol: :lol: I turned years ago when I first started turning.

Thanks CHJ, "porcelain" :roll: , I couldn't think of the correct word to describe it, thanks :)

That's something different Dean,and looks very nice :D
Nice shape and finish.I thing the 2 timbers work.From the piccy they both seem to have the same grain pattern.
How long you been turning :?:

Back