A Few Projects...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello lads and lasses :D Not been on for a while, last year wasn't the best I've had with more hospital appointments in 9 months than I'd had in the previous 50 years!
Couldn't make as much as I'd have liked, but still managed a few items...

The first job was to make shelves in the kitchen for all my baking stuff, this started after being given some off cuts after my folks had had new windowsills fitted.
I made a jig for the router so the shelves fitted in a rebate in the sides. As you can see the sides ate painted, the shelves stained and varnished. It was all
held together with a combination of pocket hole screws and Dominos.

Not so much as a radiator cover, more of a surround. The rail is from Wickes and sold as a wardrobe rail.

I made some basic pine frames for the metal plates/pictures and a bundt tin rack.

Here's a piccy of a cake I made once it was all finished, a Walnut Cake With Biscoff Buttercream :D

Then I made a Yarn Buddy for our lass. She had seen one some where but couldn't find the link again so she described what it was. Made from oak and I used welding
rods for the metal bits.

After the yarn buddy my folks wanted a floating shelf type thingy for the Sky Box. Again made from oak and all held together with Dominos'.
I cut a piece of 40 mm thick beach to the exact internal dimensions and bolted this to the wall, the box then slid over it with two screws top and bottom
to hold it in place. To hide all the cables I used solid piece of oak rebated and held in place with a Domino but not glued.

As soon as that was on the wall, I decided to make a spice rack for our kitchen. I'd planned to make one for quite a while but was sure what I or we wanted, but after developing a fetish for Kilner jars, I decided to keep the design simple and use the mini Kilner jars for the spices...I used oak again, and again used Dominos' to hold it all together. The solid oak back fits inside so I had to make sure it was perfectly square.

The last job or current job was revamping our stair case where it was boxed in on the landing. I used a multi tool to cut the plywood sheet out,
and once the timber was planed, it was all held in placed with pocket holes screws. I made a batch of dowls which were all glued up and then cut flush
reading for sanding and then painting. I need to make some caps for the newel posts and then I can carry on with....

After looking for news doors, Wickes had a special on four panel internal doors, two for £87.00, but sadly the maximum you could trim was 12 mm, on the bathroom
door I would have to trim 30 mm off each side...We decided for now to paint the old doors and change the knobs, at least they would look a little fresher, and white.
I took the door off the daughters room as she was away for a few days, the panel was also coming off a little at the bottom. Once I had in the workshop it was just a case of gluing and clamping up, a new coat of paint and pop it back in time. I decided to pull the panel up to see what if anything was underneath, I was so chuffed when I discovered it was the original door, the down side was, it took me all weekend to strip the layers of paint and original varnish. All I have to do now is, strip the other three! :D

I almost forgot, in between decorating I decided to have a go at a big wall clock for the kitchen. I had several off cuts of pine laying around, so once planed
I joined them all up with the Domino. I drilled through the centre, attached the DW625 router to a length of contiplas, a bolt went through this and the centre of
clock, after a few minutes I had it cut out. I made a small jig up and used a Trend T5 router to cut the housing out for the clock workings, which I picked up on
Amazon for £7.00...There's nothing to attach this, so I'll line the housing with draft excluder so it's a snug fit, the cover will stop it falling out but we'll still be able
to change the battery without removing it. I used the router and a key hole cutter for hanging the clock. Our lass said she would like to paint this one, and just for
fun, I might do another one which glows in the dark. Hopefully it'll look as good as the image I have of it in my head :D

Nice projects, my favourite was the cake :wink:

Pete

Brilliant =D>

I'll have to show the yarn buddy to SWMBO, she might have use for something like that.....

What a fantastic collection of projects !!!

Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Racers":2wgjgrnc said:
Nice projects, my favourite was the cake :wink:

Pete

Yes, you can't beat a bit of cake Pete :D Although I haven't had time to make as many as I usually do!

DTR":2wgjgrnc said:
Brilliant =D>

I'll have to show the yarn buddy to SWMBO, she might have use for something like that.....

Our lass loves it mate, it's made life so much easier when she's using two different colours, and with the cork screw
type holders it's quick change too...

ColeyS1":2wgjgrnc said:
What a fantastic collection of projects !!!

Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Coley, the one I'm dreading are the built cupboards in the bedroom, the ones I said I would replace five years ago :oops:
Saying that, I didn't know what I was doing five years ago, hopefully things have changed (hammer)

Sorry to hear about the hospital situation, I hope it settles down somewhat. You've still managed to produce some great stuff. The kitchen shelves, polished shelves, painted sides, look tremendous.
xy

Yes, those shelves have come out nicely. The staining has worked particularly nicely. I like the two little shaker (?) Pegs on the end; I worry that anything hung on there might end up in the cat / dog bowl though :lol:

xy mosian":3byy4gca said:
Sorry to hear about the hospital situation, I hope it settles down somewhat. You've still managed to produce some great stuff. The kitchen shelves, polished shelves, painted sides, look tremendous.
xy

I think I'll have to go a couple of times every year from now on and I'm on inhalers for life, just have to make sure I have a mask on when ever I'm in the workshop :)
I was quite chuffed how they came out, as it was one of those jobs that came together as I was going a long, I didn't know what to do with the radiator cover until after I'd finished the shelves...

NazNomad":3byy4gca said:
Hang on, did someone mention cake?

Have a slice of chocolate cake Naz :D This one's an almond chocolate fudge cake with a layer of chocolate ganache, a layer of coffee buttercream, topped off with white chocolate ganache, with grated milk chocolate, tasty :lol:

Sheffield Tony":3byy4gca said:
Yes, those shelves have come out nicely. The staining has worked particularly nicely. I like the two little shaker (?) Pegs on the end; I worry that anything hung on there might end up in the cat / dog bowl though :lol:

Funny you say that Tony, as the Shaker pegs were for my little boys harness and lead, but I have found a ladies handbag hanging there on ocassion :lol:

mayo.mick":3byy4gca said:
Some nice projects there, well done

Stanleymonkey":3byy4gca said:
Very nice - I like the kitchen shelves / units

Appreciate the comments chaps :D

Watcha Pete
Lovely work there mate

Your cakes put Galloways to shame :p
HveYuZmh.jpg

Cordy":2g0th7hg said:
Watcha Pete
Lovely work there mate

Your cakes put Galloways to shame :p
HveYuZmh.jpg

How you doing John? :D

I wasn't going to post any more cake piccies but here's the last one for now! It was our lasses birthday on Sunday, so I made her a cake. She wanted something along the lines of a Victoria sponge but with a cream cheese and white chocolate filling :D I had to melt holes in the chocolates to get the candles in, and I melted the bottom of the top chocolate so it stayed in place. Should have checked it was upright before it stuck to the other three! Still, it tastes alight :D

Latest posts

Back