Online video, cabinet making, 1970's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eoinsgaff

Established Member
Reaction score
I just re-found this on you-tube today. Search for the following;
Hands Cavan cabinet maker part 1
'Hands' was the name of an excellent tv record of various crafts in Ireland made in the 70's. Cabinet making, coopers, candle makers, stone masons - it's a real treat if you're interested in the subject.
This episode featuring the cabinet makers is intriguing - how similar the craft will remain for many years, very fine/detailed work being assembled with a 14lb hammer and, if you make it to part 3, an interesting veneer press in the background. A real diamond in the rough.
It will be interesting to see your comments.

Excellent...and almost the same time as this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K48FezBoPWg

(though the former is work on its own, and the later a re-enactment of sorts).

It's interesting to see how close the marquetry work is in the cabinet making video to the colonial williamsburg work (which would've been done with care to be historically accurate).

(George Wilson in the williamsburg video is still easily accessible on several internet forums).

The finished set of tables and chairs at the end of the hands video is really lovely.

Rorschach":2p8g8ypn said:
I love watching them make furniture in a 3pc suit and tie.

I vividly remember the maintenance carpenter when I was at school in the '60s - he wore a tweed jacket, a trilby, a white shirt and tie and an apron. A guy of retiring age, he used to make grandfather clock cases as a hobby. I used to speak to him on the odd occasion the woodwork master sent me to the maintenance workshop for nails - which he refused to keep in our workshop. I believe he thought them to be the work of the devil. I suspect he had forgotten more than the woodwork master knew.

phil.p":2wr9g2mg said:
I suspect he had forgotten more than the woodwork master knew.

I have a few old school woodworking textbooks, from 1920-1950 (*). Nothing could be more carefully designed to kill any nascent desire to work with wood. If the woodwork master were teaching to such a model, he wouldn't need to know much woodwork.

BugBear

(*) I've stopped buying them. They're depressing

phil.p":1urhefsh said:
Rorschach":1urhefsh said:
I love watching them make furniture in a 3pc suit and tie.

I vividly remember the maintenance carpenter when I was at school in the '60s - he wore a tweed jacket, a trilby, a white shirt and tie and an apron. A guy of retiring age, he used to make grandfather clock cases as a hobby. I used to speak to him on the odd occasion the woodwork master sent me to the maintenance workshop for nails - which he refused to keep in our workshop. I believe he thought them to be the work of the devil. I suspect he had forgotten more than the woodwork master knew.

Ditto. I remember 'Mr. Bell' well into his 60's (which was old back then), collar and tie and blue denim dust coat. If it broke it went to Mr. Bell.

eoinsgaff":2ie1fnf7 said:
Here is the link in case anyone is interested????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx2y7MAys20

Thanks for sharing, it's been posted on here a while ago, however, once I clicked the link I was entranced and watched the whole thing again. I seem to remember last time there was a thread on it, someone said that Ignacious is still working and had posted on here at some point?? Can anyone with a better memory than me add to that?

Back