One year on.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried a few of these and somehow mine always end up looking like an abstract female form :lol:

I'm sure the trick cyclists would make something of this.

Never seem to get the sharp edges that you and Tam achieve.

Have you seen Escoulens work?

Pete

That is a very good first attempt Andrew :D so can only get better.
I did try this method once but gave up half way through it,i'm afraid it was doing me eyes in :roll:
Will now look forward to seeing your next attempt.

Bought some Kelton hollowers off Graham this week,and a handle to go with them from The Toolpost.Decided to make a small end for the handle just to make it a bit more comfortable :-

Picture085Small.jpg

from an offcut of maple - it's now warmer to hold,better balanced,and has a bit more leverage.

Managed to liberate some timber from the chainsaw fairies when they were out near work this week :-

Picture073Small-1.jpg

Picture075Small-1.jpg

And made this yesterday,from the timber left over from rebasing the mongoose last year :-

Picture079Small.jpg

Picture080Small.jpg

Picture081Small.jpg

Silver birch,bowl part is 100mm diameter,55mm high,wings are 140mm x 240mm,finished in lemon oil.Slight bit of spalting in the middle (nice colour,but not started to soften yet) - so either I've been lucky with the birch I've had,or it spalts very easily.

Off out shortly,to G&S Timbers show at Penrith (yes,it's currently 0 degrees outside,snow is forecast,and I'm going to drive over the top of the pennines.. :lol: )

Andrew

Like the Bowl Andrew, a great trial in delicate approach to cutter control.

Judging by the generous covering of some white stuff out here this morning I think you would have been better employed polishing the snow shovels for your pennine trip.

Cracking Sliver Birch bowl Andrew, Mind when I see that my fingers are going 'ouch'. Interesting shape.

Hope the trip went well. It's snowing here so no doubt you experienced some.

Shaun

Spot on Andrew, nice winged bowl, and yes, birch spaltes at the drop of a hat. But it also rots very quickly, but you can get amazing colours if you can catch it right. Once again like the bowl.

Thanks to one and all :D

Had a great day at G&S;met Nick (Jetman) and got to see lots of nice Jet tools - the big lathe was very nice,but have neither the space nor the money at the moment :(
Nice turning demonstration from Tracy Owen (offset airbrushed textured platter,quite similar to his article in this months Woodturning),and thoroughly enjoyed the demo on staining turnings by the Chestnut rep.

And despite the blue skies and sunshine on the way there,it was snowing sideways over Stainmore and Bowes Moor on the way back....

Andrew

Was going to make more shelf space on my drying racks,but got driven into the workshop by the weather :-

Picture086Small.jpg

Picture087Small.jpg

Holly,110mm diameter,60mm high,lemon oil.

Picture089Small.jpg

Picture090Small.jpg

Oah,220mm diameter,20mm high,waxed.

Andrew

Not sure about the Holly Andrew, does not seem to flow that well for me, how dry was it, is it likely to move around?

The little Oak platter is neat, I think the bead on the rim provides just enough shadow decoration to accentuate the centre hollowing.

Very nice Andrew :D
As the Holly piece already moved,or is it still round.Can't quite make out if it is :?
Nice Oak piece.I to like the bead detail on top.

Both are good but strange as it may sound coming from me, I'm not a fan of these type of natural edge bowls. Nevertheless it looks like a good example. The oak platter is nice, pcked up a sheet of ok from Yandles scrap bin today to do one of these, Like the beading if you don't mind me pinching the idea

Pete

Chas - the timber is quite dry,and don't think it will move at all.However,I know what you mean,as I have made a couple of these before but the "low side" was a lot higher,which I think made them look better,and be more useable.

Paul - it's made from a piece of branch split down the middle,and is about 10mm wider than it is deep (so slightly rectangular);I still like the colouring,but will try and think of something else to make out of the other pieces I have.

Pete - I claim no copyright for any design whatsoever,so pinch what you like :lol:

Andrew

Andrew - may I suggest that the base of the holly needs to curve in a lot more. The angular transition from wall to base does not suit the curve of the bark.

Nice platter. It's always surprising how one simple bead can improve the look so effectively

Duncan

Nice pieces with a different shape. Good match...somnething I've yet to achieve....2 of a kind :roll:

I presume you mean the american poplar tulip wood? Lovely wood to turn, soft and gentle but holds an edge I've found. I am impressed with the couple aspect as every time I try and do two something goes wrong.

Pete

Thanks Pete - it was easier making a pair when I planned on making a pair to start with;it's never the same trying to make something to match afterwards.
Another shower halted the gardening,so made this instead :-

Picture097Small.jpg

Picture098Small.jpg

Laburnum,85mm wide,115mm high,finished in friction polish.

Andrew

Those goblets look nice Andrew,and so does the Tulip wood,of which i have got some nice chunks left over fron the RH build,so can't wait to try some meself:D
And the Laburnum vase looks even better.Nice shape and the rim looks good.

Made this last weekend,took a couple of nights to build up the finish:-

Picture122Small.jpg

Picture121Small.jpg

Padauk,250mm diameter,40mm high,finished in 4 or 5 coats of finishing oil.Chose the shape to retain as much of the contrasting sapwood as possible.
It's going to be another fruit bowl,so after cleaning up lots of red dust,made a start on it's contents:-

Picture105Small.jpg

Goncalo alves,70mm diameter,55mm high,waxed.

Andrew

Latest posts

Back