One damp moulding on a door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orval

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a paneled door I want to varnish, but oddly just one of the mouldings on it seems to be damp.

I've attached a photo. It also shows how the moulding has expanded and lifted off the panel.

Any ideas how I can remedy this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4755.jpg
    IMG_4755.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 108
Hi - it looks like that door has probably been dipped in caustic soda to strip all the old (lead?!) paint. The residue, unless fully neutralised/removed tends to be hygroscopic - hence the dampness you see from airborne water vapour. My suggestion would be to try scrubbing the moulding with vinegar - a dilute organic acid - to attempt to neutralise the alkaline sodium hydroxide residue. Cheers, W2S

Woody2Shoes":3gl5u1zj said:
Hi - it looks like that door has probably been dipped in caustic soda to strip all the old (lead?!) paint. The residue, unless fully neutralised/removed tends to be hygroscopic - hence the dampness you see from airborne water vapour. My suggestion would be to try scrubbing the moulding with vinegar - a dilute organic acid - to attempt to neutralise the alkaline sodium hydroxide residue. Cheers, W2S

That's really interesting. Have noticed this on dipped doors before and thought it must be related but did not know until know.

Thanks

That's really helpful. Thanks Woody2Shoes!

I did send them off to be stripped. Whether they were dipped or done by hand I presume there was alkaline involved.

I think I'll remove that bit of moulding to give it a good scrub all 'round.

Cheers

Back