OMG OMG OMG 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stigmorgan

Established Member
Reaction score
So this evening my phone chimes and I see I have an Instagram message notification, not very often I get messages through Insta so I opened the app and the message was from Dremel UK, at first I thought it was a scam but then I read the message, double checked the account was legit and then spent a few minutes jumping around like a naughty child who just got his hands on the cookie jar. I'd forgotten I had entered the Dremel Christmas competition on Instagram, seems my name was randomly picked to win this...
Screenshot_20230119-181011_Samsung Internet.jpg

I am so happy right now, I almost bought one at Costco a couple weeks ago 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

You will have to give us some feedback on it's capabilities, let us know all about it.
I can't wait, my current Dremel is one of the very early models that I got as a Christmas present more than 25 years ago and has only recently died due to cable issues, the write up on this one looks amazing 😁😁😁

What I do use a lot is my Bosch oscillating multitool, this tool does a lot that a dremel can but I need to compare. The most obvious for me is that with an oscillating tool I find the dust from say plaster board is contained, easily sucked up but how does a rotating tool compare as that must spread the dust more.

What I do use a lot is my Bosch oscillating multitool, this tool does a lot that a dremel can but I need to compare. The most obvious for me is that with an oscillating tool I find the dust from say plaster board is contained, easily sucked up but how does a rotating tool compare as that must spread the dust more.
It does, I use my old dremel for sanding mostly and the dust does tend to fly out away from the tool, how much will depend on the speed you have it set at.

The amount of times I have used my dremel to cut slots in screws that have rounded out... this looks like a great tool!

Well I use mine a lot in the aircraftery. The Dremel is one of those tools that the more you use it, the more things you realise that you can do with it.
Congratulations on your win.

One possibly surprising use for them is Chiropody. I first saw this in action when my wife started having a visiting one at home. They are good for reducing the thickness of toe nails. Given my own 68 year old ones have been a gnarled problem for decades I got her to do mine. It was a revelation. She was about to emigrate so I got her to sell me a bunch of the bits. They either use a disc or a cone. The discs are quite small and you do it at the slowest speed. I do it myself about twice a year now…. Outside! Whilst they use medical grade bits, they look exactly the same as ones I buy for wood use, but come in a fancy packet at a price. Given that you shouldn’t be drawing blood I wouldn’t bother buying them from a chiropodist supplier when my stock runs out. Obviously you need to take extreme care. This isn’t a recommendation! But it is another use for the Dremel.

Reading up on it, I like the app control and diagnostic abilities it has, it looks way above what I will ever needs for but I'm really being drawn to pierced work on woodturnings and this Dremel will be perfect for that.

One possibly surprising use for them is Chiropody. I first saw this in action when my wife started having a visiting one at home. They are good for reducing the thickness of toe nails. Given my own 68 year old ones have been a gnarled problem for decades I got her to do mine. It was a revelation. She was about to emigrate so I got her to sell me a bunch of the bits. They either use a disc or a cone. The discs are quite small and you do it at the slowest speed. I do it myself about twice a year now…. Outside! Whilst they use medical grade bits, they look exactly the same as ones I buy for wood use, but come in a fancy packet at a price. Given that you shouldn’t be drawing blood I wouldn’t bother buying them from a chiropodist supplier when my stock runs out. Obviously you need to take extreme care. This isn’t a recommendation! But it is another use for the Dremel.
Great idea, and one which a cordless is ideal. Many of the tools used by surgeons have woodwork origins. I have a fabulous old Sjobergs bench with hardly any marks, formerly owned by a surgeon. There is one Medical School in the US where students are encouraged to make dovetailed wooden boxes for their kit. Dremels do remind me of the dentist though!

I have owned and used one for about 20 years my first was corded which I sold on when i had the need for a cordless version. My second one lasted for a good 15 years but eventually failed due to some serious abuse.
My third is going well and gets used almost daily in the workshop, drilling holes 1mm and less in parts for keyrings and sanding various items that we manufacture.
I would suggest a spare battery and keep an open mind for bits and sanding consumables my common used ones I buy in bulk (100's) on the small sanding sleeves
Enjoy

Stig, well done on winning a cordless Dremel! Result all right. I was fortunate enough to be given one recently but corded and the number of times I've used it for all sorts of things. Great for sanding a recessed tenon on bowls and the small cut off wheels come in handy too. Tried some engraving on wood but tricky to control, maybe a stencil would help. Also want to get the small stone to sharpen my chainsaw. Lucky you!

So Dremel UK messaged me a couple of days ago saying they are having a supply issue with the new model in the UK and it might take a few weeks to get my prize out to me but have sent me some merchandise, today a small box was delivered, they have sent gloves, thermal cup, note pad, pencils and some stickers, as much as I appreciate the gesture the cup will likely go in the cupboard with the dozens of others we never use, the stickers are unlikely to be used, the gloves may come in handy at some point but a rarely ever wear gloves for working, the pencils and notepad will be usefull in the maker space.
16748251781913819309313007639823.jpg

Well today has not started well for SWMBO, it's her birthday but I got the present, came home from work to find a nice big box addressed to me, once opened I found this inside...
20230213_134958.jpg

20230213_135130.jpg

20230213_135156.jpg

Now I need to find some projects to use it on πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”(after I download the app and have a play), I'm sure Dremel UK will want to see some posts of it on my instagram seeing as that's where I won it.

Well today has not started well for SWMBO, it's her birthday but I got the present, came home from work to find a nice big box addressed to me, once opened I found this inside...
View attachment 153355
View attachment 153354
View attachment 153353
Now I need to find some projects to use it on πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”(after I download the app and have a play), I'm sure Dremel UK will want to see some posts of it on my instagram seeing as that's where I won it.
Living dangerously!
My Mrs birthday next week better buy something!!

Latest posts

Back