NEW COMPETITION - FABULOUS PRIZE!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice box tony very easy on the eye i'll bet HID got that one ear marked for something :lol:

P.S how long is left b4 the comp ends ?

Can anyone see this photo
Pictures%2FPicture%20109.jpg

jaymar":1it0v0ou said:
Can anyone see this photo
Pictures%2FPicture%20109.jpg

Nope, it's located somewhere (or you have the wrong URL to it) where it can't be accessed.

If you PM me, you can email it too me, and I'll host it for you.

Adam

Thanks for the offer Adam but I am determined to get this sorted.Here is another try, a picture from our recent hols
mypic48.jpg

If anybody can see it please let me know.

At last! The view is from Cortona in Italy.We had to climb steep path from the car park but it was well worth it.I can submit my entry now

My entry for the competition, now that I seem able to post photos.
First I had to decide what to make a box of so off to my pile of scrap timber.
Picture-109.gif

As I don't have the skills of some of the members I tried to compensate by making something different, a hexagon box.
I decided on some ash as I am fond of it's grain and colour.I decided to make the sides of the box profiled so I had to make a mitre jig for the t/s
mypic113.jpg

After I cut the mitres from the wrong side I decided to make the sides straight, the jig was useful all the same.
Cutting the top was a b*****d as just a fraction of a degree out on a cut left a large gap when all the pieces were laid together but eventually I arrived at top with not too much filler
mypic116.jpg

Quite pleased with the final result, oiled and waxed with a velvet base
mypic119.jpg

mypic120.jpg

Jaymar,

After seeing your brave attempts at posting pictures I was thinking, as one does on occasion, "this so and so box better be so and so good...." and my faith was justified. Excellent piece of craftsmanship and I do know how hard it is to get mitres just right. Well done.

Rgds

Noel, a fellow premium member....

Thanks everyone. I didn't realise how tricky it would be when I started the project.
Jaymar

Jaymar,

Worth waiting for. :D I like the bead round the top - nice touch. Wish my pile of "scrap" was like that... :(

Cheers, Alf

I have just started to make a box for the competition using a new technique (for me anyway). I am keeping a picture record and hope to get it finished over the weekend.

I have made several in the past as I find them good practice for different techniques without using too much wood. Some of my previous efforts are shown below.

Storage boxes for the Kitchen:-

medium.jpg

A Bread bin and chopping board.

medium.jpg

Just boxes.

medium.jpg

And some more.

medium.jpg

John,

I think you have just raised the bar for everyone with that lot! You must be a box expert and a highly productive one at that!

I am going to retire into my corner and think again after seeing that little lot.

Chris, you are a fine one to write about raising the bar after making us all feel so inadequate with those beautiful chairs :)

I have been woodworking for 3 years now and when I started had never done anything with hardwood before so I bought a pallet of off cuts from SL hardwoods,a book on box making and got stuck in. I made most of these during the first year, making loads of mistakes but slowly learnt how to make the various joints involved. Making these boxes has taught me to make finger joints, dovetails (through, half blind and sliding), raise panels, cut accurate mitres, make drawers and I have experimented with various finishes.

After 3 years I still consider myself an apprentice at woodworking. All my work so far has been with power tools where possible. Hand cut dovetails etc are on my list of things to learn. I would love to make something like your chairs but don't know if I have either the skill or patience for all that hand work.

Didn't manage to get my box finished today, will have to wait until next weekend now.

John

Back