OMG! Ebay gone mad!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this technically fraud as the plane is damaged? Surely as soon as the buyer looks at another plane or something s/he will realise whats happened ..?

Absolutely mind boggling. In all my years of collecting (did I say that? my name is Carol and I am a planeaholic...) planes I have never once considered deliberately deforming a plane to profit from it. But to sell a 4c for £100 odd...........

I dropped my old Dads 102 out of the loft hatch a few months ago - I was heartbroken. It may have quadrupled in value!!

Hope I haven't hindered his sale. I don't think it constitutes fraud as his description is so vague. But I don't think the buyer will be too proud when he/she shows his or her mates. I would laugh!!!!! Imagine that! I guess thats a story that'll get told once!

Caz

These have been appearing on and off for months haven't they? I am sure that something similar has been posted a couple of times before. Don't they vaguely resemble a rare stanley- I don't know the model numbers well enough.

They have been turning up for some time, yes, but never for quite so much. And usually they have been 102's with the end chopped off.

I think the only Stanley of any consequence they resemble is the bull nosed 101 (whatever it is called) that I missed out on for £2 recently. Funny little thing; just a bit larger than some of the luthiers planes - all black.

Other than that I can't think of a bench stanley plane that looks like that.... I am ready to be corrected, strike that, educated though.

Caz

Well I assume they were modified to plane doors. That looks one of the better incarnations and it seems a relatively early Plane. Strange how it's reached such a high price though. Only two bidders after it had passed £10.
£10 or so would have been perfectly sensible - for parts.

I am no hand plane expert, I would hazard a guess that from many of the responses that the poster isn't either?

My knowledge of planes is limited to the point where, there are many collectors of them and willing to pay handsome prices to have them as part of their collections. I read of a plane once which sold for £12K. Had been encrusted with diamonds it wouldn't have been worth that to me but someone figured for whatever reason it was to them.

I guess an item is as valuable as the desire to have it.

David

Back