Olive wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
There's a lot of it about in fashionable kitchen shops made into chopping boards, cheese boards etc. and I would like to make similar things.
So, where can I buy olive wood boards? Please don't suggest olive ash - it just isn't the same.

A while ago ( 2 years) I posted wanting some in board form
in jan this year a chap in nottingham contacted me saying he was in the process of importing 400 tonnes of it
It will be another month or so before its ready

I'll keep you all posted

Ian

my parents live on the greek island of crete, and my dad reckons he can only buy olive wood logs to burn on their woodburner in the winter....criminal.

Dave

rom bloke":3l0e9jyn said:
my parents live on the greek island of crete, and my dad reckons he can only buy olive wood logs to burn on their woodburner in the winter....criminal.

Dave

I recently rescued some yew that was being burnt on a bonfire to get rid of it. a whole treefull, about 10-12 meters long and a meter in diameter at the bottom (65 cm at the top of the main trunk.)

Not entirely happy at the prospect of turning charcoal off it.

woodfarmer":2gupnvhw said:
I recently rescued some yew that was being burnt on a bonfire to get rid of it. a whole treefull, about 10-12 meters long and a meter in diameter at the bottom (65 cm at the top of the main trunk.)

Not entirely happy at the prospect of turning charcoal off it.
There are some crimes for which burning at the stake should still be applied.

It the same in southern Spain as well (nr Valencia), also you will find cut almond and orange trees (and their thinning's) are also used for firewood. However most of this timber is small stuff. However, good for turning I would think.

The lack of any sustainable forestry in southern Spain, requires nearly all the building timber to be imported (its very expensive). Consequently, the only value, local timber from olive and fruitwoods would and is firewood.

Of note many of the olives groves in south Italy have some huge olive trees that would convert into useful planks. These groves seem to be operated on a more industrial process.

I have been told that turning olive wood one has to clean off tools as the sap/oil contained in the wood caused staining.

+1 on what aden said, the fruit trees etc in spain are all too small for furniture and get chopped up for firewood when past best. My inlaws have some interesting wood in their burning pile. Not sure how well any of those types of timber would dry out for working but I have been tempted to bring a bit home to try :)

<British turners descend on southern Spain in droves>
Come on dear, I'm sure we can get one more log in the case if you leave your costume behind.

Back