Olive Wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Several years ago we were on holiday on Rhodes and we bought back some olive wood 'fruit' but couldn't find a respectable bowl to put them in. I got some an olive blank from Yandles a couple of years ago but never got aroundtuit to turning into a bowl....have just finished it now tho' and have taken it off the lathe. Finish is with a couple of coats of the Oz organic tung oil and then a couple of coats of the finishing oil from the same people (these oils alas don't appear to sold by Axminster any more). Found olive to be a lovely timber to turn...I thought it might be a bit interlocked and tricky, but it's not...definitely get another lump next time I go to Yandles

IMGP0044.jpg

IMGP0045.jpg

with the 'fruit' in the bowl - Rob

Beautiful figuring in the bowl Rob, Was the blank wax sealed all over (wet in other words) , I often see it in the 'wet' form, rarely in the 'dry'.

Chas - the blank was sealed all round with wax, as were all the blanks at Yandles when I was there last - Rob

Looks really nice. Olive wood is one of my favorite woods. So far I have not had the opprtunity to work with it, only look at it in stores in such. That stuff is however very expensive over here, even the ebay prices are high.

I've got a big chunk that is currently serving as ballast for my lathe. :)
It's about 5 feet long and more than a foot in diameter.
Biggest problem I have is how to get it cut up into chunks, I can't lift it by myself. :roll:

Latest posts

Back