Old Record, Stanley, Marples ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finding a good bench plane is relatively easy, there’s always one at a local car boot sale.
Specialty planes though, not so much, I have basically given up on the idea of owning a router plane, it’s just not going to happen. Or a combination plane, or a shoulder plane..etc... for a weekend woodworker it’s too pricey.

Have to admit I have seen a significant shift in on-the-ground availability and prices in the last year alone. I've built up a fair collection over the years as I work across two shops and am always on the look out for the older style Stanleys (Type 11 and earlier). I could pick up a No 4 for about £25 to £30 but now they can often nearly double that (sometimes more) in auction.

Another aspect I've seen is more people breaking them down into the component parts, i.e. selling the sole, handles, frog, etc separately.

You can still get good deals, they are out there.

Yes you can complain about the prices that old record and Stanley planes are fetching (with some justification), but for what they are, they're still a bargain.

tony_s":3nrn7fus said:
Yes you can complain about the prices that old record and Stanley planes are fetching (with some justification), but for what they are, they're still a bargain.

I have to agree with that and personally I'm happy to pay the current prices, just commenting on the increase itself. I appreciate it's a little rich to gawp reasonable prices for 100 year old tools that have patina, history and still out-perform some of their modern day equivalents.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for a Stanley No. 7, like has been said everything 9n Ebay was coming up at more than I was willing to pay until a listing came long that didn't seem to be getting much interest. The pictures were pretty poor and the description was spartan. I took a punt and bid £20 and got it for a little less than that thinking that I could probably make something of it if it turned out to be in poor condition with a bit of work, as a project, and if not I'd have to take the £20 on the chin.

When it turned up it was absolutely lovely, basically in new condition and the guy had made a tidy job of sharpening the iron for me too.

So there are still bargains out there.

My missus likes to go to those "I saw you coming" type "antique" shops and quite often they have a "vintage" tool section that I will often browse. More often than not it is filled with dog rough chisels, planes, screwdrivers, spanners, Stilsons etc that really are no more than scrap metal. I have even seen knackered CK garage forecourt type chisels on sale for three times the price they were bought for.

For me it begs three questions.

How can someone have the neck to sell such tat at such high prices?

Who buys it?

What the hell are they doing with it?

I bought a Moseley & Sons moving fillister without its fence for £4, and a wooden jointer for £5 at Bridport market on Saturday. The fillister is in good order. Making a fence is not difficult. The jointer is un-named with minor worm damage at the rear of the sole. The Sorby blade had some pitting but not near the cutting edge. After cleaning up and sharpening, it took good shavings. I haven't yet done anything to the fillister other than clean it with a BLO / vinegar mix and 000 grade wire wool.

Nigel.

AndyT":1fuh97b1 said:
phil.p":1fuh97b1 said:
mynamehere":1fuh97b1 said:
I was looking for a router plane, thought that a bid of £30,- could get me somewhere with this "no name" example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unmarked-Rou ... EBIDX%3AIT
I didn't expect to be off by a factor of 12....
Cheers!
Ferenc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-joseph- ... 0012.m1985 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well that must be a new record (not an old Record)!

Assuming they're genuine bids, it looks like 2 bidders in the last 5 minutes were bidding against each other and the price went from £300 to £640.

There were a few other bidders but they stop at £200 to £300.

It does seem this type of router is quite rare and there is now demand from beginners for using it on tenons but there is a new tool available for $300/£300 although you would have to wait as they're made in batches to order.

I'm surprised there aren’t any cheap chinese imported router planes.
this tyzack plane should be selling for £30 max.

Osvaldd":1ey4n82b said:
this tyzack plane should be selling for £30 max.

Amazing what a little bit of publicity from someone like Paul Sellers can do :lol:

I remember when Wranglerstar used to do handtool woodworking and used to have hand tool features whenever he picked up something new, whenever a video came out the prices of whatever tool he was showcasing would double and triple or more online. I remember him going on about the Stanley 78 rebate plane in one video and the average final bid prices on eBay went from about £10 to £30 within a day.

Trevanion":28ge74b8 said:
I remember when Wranglerstar used to do handtool woodworking and used to have hand tool features whenever he picked up something new, whenever a video came out the prices of whatever tool he was showcasing would double and triple or more online. I remember him going on about the Stanley 78 rebate plane in one video and the average final bid prices on eBay went from about £10 to £30 within a day.
Yup, 2-3 years back I was trying to get hold of an older Stanley No8 and just had to walk away from the search for a long time because Wranglerstar did a vid of his new old tool No8. It passed but it's still nuts to think a smallholder in the middle of nowhere within the US can affect prices worldwide of quite specific tools.

phil.p":391dymsz said:
mynamehere":391dymsz said:
I was looking for a router plane, thought that a bid of £30,- could get me somewhere with this "no name" example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unmarked-Rou ... EBIDX%3AIT
I didn't expect to be off by a factor of 12....
Cheers!
Ferenc
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-joseph- ... 0012.m1985 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: indeed!

I thought the previous price was ridiculous, but that's just madness.

This is made all the more ludicrous because you can knock up a wooden router in an afternoon that works just as well and costs maybe 50p, if you exaggerate the cost of the Allen key cutter.

I made a 'temporary' one about two years ago just from pine, to test out the specifics of the design I came up with (cutter tilts forward, to save on grinding time for edge relief) and it's still working well enough that I'm not yet tempted to repeat it in a nice hardwood.

I’m puzzled. Does this Tyzack/Preston pattern have any advantages over the cheaper and more common Stanley 71? I see it has a wider base but the 71 can have an auxiliary base screwed to it as big as you like. Is it just fashion and the Sellers effect?

memzey":2e7l2n19 said:
I’m puzzled. Does this Tyzack/Preston pattern have any advantages over the cheaper and more common Stanley 71? I see it has a wider base but the 71 can have an auxiliary base screwed to it as big as you like. Is it just fashion and the Sellers effect?

I think this is now more a collector's price, based on scarcity. But yes, this version does have "extra features" - you can put the cutter on the outside edge. I think it can be swapped over with either of the handles too.

So, you wouldn't want to be without the facility to do that, would you? You may not have encountered such a problem so far in your work. Nor have I, but I only dabble around at the shallow end of woodworking. I won't dare approach the dangerous shark infested rapids, not until I've spent my last penny on all the essential, pro-level tools. Then I'll be ready! :wink:

I see! As much as I love a vintage tool, as you well know Andy, I don’t feel compelled to spend £600 on one of those. Especially as my #71 does everything that I need of a router. Now if I saw one going for 50p at a car boot on the other hand....

Back