Old Record, Stanley, Marples ...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There a few bargains around, still. I saw a set of 13 Mawhood augers in a roll for £15 at the market today. A couple needed sharpening but I don't think most had ever been used. Nice clean chromed ones. Anyone interested I'll see if they're there tomorrow. :D

AndyT":3fx295gr said:
memzey":3fx295gr said:
I’m puzzled. Does this Tyzack/Preston pattern have any advantages over the cheaper and more common Stanley 71? I see it has a wider base but the 71 can have an auxiliary base screwed to it as big as you like. Is it just fashion and the Sellers effect?

I think this is now more a collector's price, based on scarcity. But yes, this version does have "extra features" - you can put the cutter on the outside edge. I think it can be swapped over with either of the handles too.
that reminds me of the thread about the shoddy machining on the tyzack routers - hopefully the ebay purchaser of the rather pricey example above is not reading this :shock:
tyzack-router-plane-question-t105449.html

Cheshirechappie":18ibfmic said:
Maybe that's why the Ebay one had a piece of wood screwed to it's base - easier to true up than the casting!
Probably watched a Paul Sellers video before selling. He seems to have a timber sub base on all of his router planes.

I have had one of these for a long time. Can't find a makers name, but the base has a number of holes ready made for the attachment of a wooden sub-base. It has always seemed to me that the base casting is not the most substantial, and adding a sub-base was intended to give greater strength. It has always worked fine, Given the price quoted, I shall treat it with extra kindness.
I also made one from a 1/2" thick BMS base plate, and a cutter block screwed to the top. The plate was drilled and shaped with drum sanders and files, using only a B&D drill in a drill stand. Works OK but I was a lot younger then.

scooby":1dq99786 said:
Its all a bit depressing, I had some hand tools stolen so I'm on the lookout for replacements (planes mainly). I hate buying anything on ebay at the best of times but the price of bench planes and router planes has gone mental there.

Scooby, sorry to hear about the theft. If they are any good to you I have just bought two No 5s for £18.00 each. If you can pick them up from near J14 M56 you can have one or both of them for what I paid.

Let me know if you want more details about them.

Kevin

most of the decent handtools end up on ebay these days unfortunately. used to love car booting and picking up bargain hand tools and giving them a new lease of life.

HappyHacker":2bqaesuv said:
scooby":2bqaesuv said:
Its all a bit depressing, I had some hand tools stolen so I'm on the lookout for replacements (planes mainly). I hate buying anything on ebay at the best of times but the price of bench planes and router planes has gone mental there.

Scooby, sorry to hear about the theft. If they are any good to you I have just bought two No 5s for £18.00 each. If you can pick them up from near J14 M56 you can have one or both of them for what I paid.

Let me know if you want more details about them.

Kevin

Kevin, I apologise for not replying to your message. This thread really slipped my mind and I have to say thank you for the generous offer. I'm back in a situation where I've got all the planes I need but thank you once again.

Latest posts

Back