Old Firmer Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mezzanine Rob

Established Member
Reaction score
Due to the ill health of my aunts my granddads old tool cabinet has come into my possession. I know very little about older hand tools only that their quality is often mentioned favorably on this site. I will be looking for advise on getting several items back into a usable state; I have pulled out what appears to be the easiest first. A nice looking set of firmer chisels that need a good sharpen and a little rust removal.
They are good and thick and seem to be practically the original length.
There is an old gold logo on all the handles, a picture of a kangaroo and "Kangaroo Brand" in an arch over.
Does this mean anything to you very knowledgable people? Are they any good? Talking to my farther we reckon that everything was purchased just after the second world war.

Also as a secondary question the primary bevels all seem to be at 20 degrees is this right for firmers?

Oh and also can you guys recommend a good woodworm treatment that doesn't stain as once treated I would like to just wax the cabinet.

All input gratefully received.
Best Regards
Rob

Robert Sorby's - a good make

20 is a bit low but if they keep an edge leave them alone or you could hone a 25 or 30 secondary bevel

I think cuprinol is OK for that?

Rod

Back