Old duffers rebellion.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As it is being used not as the title of nationality and as the name of a language, its use above is correct 😉

Interesting thread. Aside from the personal dangers of infection (whether the vaccine works for each and every individual involved), there is a major issue with spread. The more contact, the bigger the groups, the more chance of infection and spread.

Why is this important - mutations. Contrary to the way most of the recent reporting has been forced upon everyone, mutations are extremely common. Each and every infected body gives a chance to a viable mutation. The "lucky few" survive and spread. The more infection, the more chance of a viable mutation, and the more chance of one arriving that can evade the defences of the vaccination program.

Pretty much the whole reason why groups are still not theoretically allowed to mix despite already being vaccinated. As the overall infection rates decline (due to all reasons, vaccine and isolation included), the chance of a viable mutation that can evade the defence of the vaccine program diminishes. It's all in the probabilities.

Interesting thread. Aside from the personal dangers of infection (whether the vaccine works for each and every individual involved), there is a major issue with spread. The more contact, the bigger the groups, the more chance of infection and spread.

Why is this important - mutations. Contrary to the way most of the recent reporting has been forced upon everyone, mutations are extremely common. Each and every infected body gives a chance to a viable mutation. The "lucky few" survive and spread. The more infection, the more chance of a viable mutation, and the more chance of one arriving that can evade the defences of the vaccination program.

Pretty much the whole reason why groups are still not theoretically allowed to mix despite already being vaccinated. As the overall infection rates decline (due to all reasons, vaccine and isolation included), the chance of a viable mutation that can evade the defence of the vaccine program diminishes. It's all in the probabilities.

That's true, but the likelihood is any problematic mutation will be imported rather than homegrown as the virus is merrily doing the rounds in India, Africa etc. And of course you are talking about a theoretical problem of a mutation rather than the very real problem of wasting months of your limited remaining life alone and miserable.

That's true, but the likelihood is any problematic mutation will be imported rather than homegrown as the virus is merrily doing the rounds in India, Africa etc. And of course you are talking about a theoretical problem of a mutation rather than the very real problem of wasting months of your limited remaining life alone and miserable.

Very true, and in a pandemic the whole world is aware of the issue. More locally, it explains the long overdue introduction of quarantine hotels, which have served other areas well so far.

Mutations are not theoretical though, they are probable. Whether you agree with the level of probability to trigger lockdown release is another matter entirely, and I deliberately didn't mention it for the very reason that many disagree with those "in charge" on the matter.

Very true, and in a pandemic the whole world is aware of the issue. More locally, it explains the long overdue introduction of quarantine hotels, which have served other areas well so far.

Mutations are not theoretical though, they are probable. Whether you agree with the level of probability to trigger lockdown release is another matter entirely, and I deliberately didn't mention it for the very reason that many disagree with those "in charge" on the matter.

I should have been more clear, you are quite right that mutations are not theoretical, they happen all the time, arguably with every single infection there is probably a mutation. My point was that a "bad" mutation is theoretical, or hypothetical at the moment. We might get one, we might not and we cannot base policy or our personal risk decisions on things that could happen as opposed to the things we know are definitely happening.

. We might get one, we might not and we cannot base policy or our personal risk decisions on things that could happen as opposed to the things we know are definitely happening.
But that is what government does 100% of the time. It is why we have a standing military and not a volunteer malitia that forms once invaded. It is why we have a health service in the first place.

But that is what government does 100% of the time. It is why we have a standing military and not a volunteer malitia that forms once invaded. It is why we have a health service in the first place.

I get your point but the analogy is flawed. Comparing it to the military for instance, current government policy is not like having a military on standby in case of a problem but acutally expecting imminent invasion and having the entire country armed and in a bunker 24/7.

I should have been more clear, you are quite right that mutations are not theoretical, they happen all the time, arguably with every single infection there is probably a mutation. My point was that a "bad" mutation is theoretical, or hypothetical at the moment. We might get one, we might not and we cannot base policy or our personal risk decisions on things that could happen as opposed to the things we know are definitely happening.

It isn't theoretical or hypothetical, it is probable. Probable, even if, as an individual, you feel it highly unlikely. As before, whether you agree with the level of probability to release freedoms is not something I am getting into - it's a matter for the scientific community to advise upon and governments to make decisions on, and individuals to decide whether they agree with the decisions made, or not - the individuals being the ones that eventually decide if we need new decision makers.

It isn't theoretical or hypothetical, it is probable. Probable, even if, as an individual, you feel it highly unlikely. As before, whether you agree with the level of probability to release freedoms is not something I am getting into - it's a matter for the scientific community to advise upon and governments to make decisions on, and individuals to decide whether they agree with the decisions made, or not - the individuals being the ones that eventually decide if we need new decision makers.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that point then.

All viruses mutate to some extent. With flu we modify the vaccine once a year and vaccinate the vulnerable - it is still only ~50% successful.

So what is it about Covid 19 which makes this virus so special that we need to lockdown society to reduce the chance of mutations?

Mutations are far more likely outside the UK simply because there are more people. To believe that we can prevent the virus entering the UK is implausible.

I commented on a thread in a newspaper back in about May that it had been reported that there'd been another strain identified and a lady I know to be an Oxbridge professor replied that by then there would already have been hundreds.

All viruses mutate to some extent. With flu we modify the vaccine once a year and vaccinate the vulnerable - it is still only ~50% successful.

So what is it about Covid 19 which makes this virus so special that we need to lockdown society to reduce the chance of mutations?

Mutations are far more likely outside the UK simply because there are more people. To believe that we can prevent the virus entering the UK is implausible.

I am not sure anyone suggested locking down purely to reduce the chance of mutations. Only that mutations that evade the vaccination program are more probable with greater spread.

I commented on a thread in a newspaper back in about May that it had been reported that there'd been another strain identified and a lady I know to be an Oxbridge professor replied that by then there would already have been hundreds.

Precisely. Bad reporting throughout this pandemic has done nobody any favours. At times the media give the impression the virus mutations are hive minded. Mutations are constant. Always have been. Some are more successful than others, if such a phrase is appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back