Old duffers rebellion.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rorschach

Reaction score
My mother got a phone call last night from one of her friends, they are organising a sherry tasting evening next week. She was a bit confused but her friend told her that everyone in their OAP community group has now been vaccinated, quite a few twice, so they can't see why they shouldn't get together as they believe it to be safe. I wonder how many other clandestine meetings are going on like this now?

In my neck of the woods, most elderly people have been vaccinated, so those in their 20s and 30s have let their
guard down a bit. Now that no one can accuse them of 'Boomer remover' behaviour, speakeasy type clubs are becoming more common,
with quite a few attending at times.
The numbers have gone up as a result, but most are mild cases.

It’s all a percentages game. They can play a guessing game while they drink the Sherry to see which two in 10 will still get Covid.

You have misunderstood how the vaccine works, it doesn't stop infection (generally), it lessens the severity so even if they do catch it they are going to suffer a milder disease.

Speaking of one of them, he is over 80 and riddled with cancer (bladder, lung, bowel), it's being treated but he was given about a year to live and that was 18 months ago. He is a real go-getter for his age but cancer is going to take him, I guess in his mind he wants to spend time with his friends while he can.

I always understood that for diseases like Polio and German measles we had the vaccine so we couldn’t get the disease, are we now being told that Covid vaccines work in a different way? That they are not actually vaccines in the true sense? Or is it that they are just not 100% effective?

I always understood that for diseases like Polio and German measles we had the vaccine so we couldn’t get the disease, are we now being told that Covid vaccines work in a different way? That they are not actually vaccines in the true sense? Or is it that they are just not 100% effective?

The vaccines for those particular diseases are so effective that when you get exposed to it, the body destroys the infective agent so quickly it doesn't have a chance to take hold, so you never get symptoms, or to the stage where it's easy to pass it on.

The current COVID vaccines work just the same, but because of just how rapidly the virus infects people, aren't always quite as effective.

An immune response which would destroy polio, might only hold back COVID, meaning that whether the vaccine is "I don't get it at all" protective or "I get it but it's no worse than a bad cold because of the vaccine" protective depends on the underlying strength of each individual's immune system, as well as the response the vaccine provokes.

Interesting behaviour. It is still not entirely proven that vaccinated people can't transmit to others.
Also, I believe that full protection is not established until a few weeks have passed.
Do we all get to pick and choose which laws we should obey?
Not judging anyone here, I just find the behavioural aspects fascinating.
Duncan

Interesting behaviour. It is still not entirely proven that vaccinated people can't transmit to others.
Also, I believe that full protection is not established until a few weeks have passed.
Not judging anyone here, I just find the behavioural aspects fascinating.
Duncan

Oh they all waited until the 2/3 weeks after the vaccine, most in the group had their vaccine in Dec or early Jan and some even had 2 doses because their first dose was so early.

And yes we do get to choose which laws we obey, as long as we are happy to accept the consequences. A lot of people don't follow the law on speeding for example.

The effectiveness of the vaccine seems to be ~70% after 1 jab + 2 weeks, and ~90% after the second jab. It is not clear if this relates to the risk of getting Covid, or the risk of severe disease or death.

An important distinction - if Covid post vaccine is either asymptomatic or mild, it is a trivial risk. If there is a 30% risk of severe illness or death this changes my views somewhat!

If a bunch of geriatrics (of which I must be one having had the vaccine) get together for games of cards, drinks, rumpy pumpy (?) etc - they are simply breaking the rules in a minor way - similar to many 40-50 years younger.

As those vaccinated increase, and cases and deaths decline, compliance will anyway increasingly become a rarity.

If a bunch of geriatrics (of which I must be one having had the vaccine) get together for games of cards, drinks, rumpy pumpy (?) etc - they are simply breaking the rules in a minor way - similar to many 40-50 years younger.

As those vaccinated increase, and cases and deaths decline, compliance will anyway increasingly become a rarity.

Anecdotal experience tells me the old are complying less than the young.

Why not just stick to the rules for a bit longer please? It appears to me to be very simple statistics. The less number of contacts, the less chance of spreading it.

An indeterminate "bit longer" might be more time that some people feel they have left (remember it was 3 weeks to flatten the curve, that was almost a year ago). I heard on the radio last week of an grandmother who died (not of covid, I think they said it was cancer but I can't find a news story on it) having never met her granddaughter who was born in lockdown 1.
A few more months of lockdown is an awfully long time when you might have less than a year to live.

You have to love the flexibility of the english language and its ability to still be fully understandable when you play around with it.

Duncan

Yes. Yes we do. We are all entirely free to do exactly what we each want to do and part of that is choosing which laws we obey. The sting in the tail is that our decisions are not consequence-free. As a result of that awareness, and conditioning, and humanity, and morality and self preservation etc. we mostly obey most laws. That shouldn't stop each of us critically examining laws and challenging them when, by our own judgement, they are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back