old deisel car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just brought an old diesel car N reg and I always change the plugs and filters with an oil change.
What would I do with a diesel engine?
I have always had a petrol car before.
Citroen Advantage 1.9 D, estate.

caretaker":2cq32xtp said:
I have just brought an old diesel car N reg and I always change the plugs and filters with an oil change.
What would I do with a diesel engine?
I have always had a petrol car before.
Citroen Advantage 1.9 D, estate.

Don't touch the plugs! :lol: :whistle:

:D Do the oil change and filters as it an older car best to do it Evey 5000
miles or so clean oil in a diesel helps.

Martyn

Do as Colin says NOW!!

If the belt breaks the car is worth £25 scrap, if you are lucky.

A mechanic mate changes his belt every 18months regardless of miles

I check belts on our cars at least monthly, any sign of wear in they go.

I speak from bitter experience

I have looked at the timing belt and it looks ok.
Will give it a oil change, can I use any engine oil or do I have to use one for a diesel?
Will change filters.
Do I have to do anything to the injectors?
I must admit it all go's very well so far, and its so cheap to run.
Thanks for all the help and tips.
Now for them plugs......

Caretaker

I would take the cover off and have a good look at the belt ( if you have not already ) and try to find out when or if the last time the whole timing belt kit was changed.

A friend of mine had to have his engine rebuilt but the family friend that did it , did not change the whole kit but did just the belt and one of the the other belts went on his about 5 months later.

One dead engine plus I was lucky to have a belt drop 6 teeth on it but I was lucky it did no damage.

I would have it all changed to be safe :)

In my experience diesels tend to use more oil than petrol engines, so I'd check the oil level more often.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Timing belts themselves rarely break. The more common failure is with the tensioning gear. Make sure who ever replaces the belt gets the whole kit.

Also depending on mileage, I would advise you change the water pump as well. The would seem very little point in doing the above only to have the water pump go and it all need doing again.

Are old cars ever a bargain? :wink: :wink: :wink:

As said - oil filter and oil change, check the cam belt. These engines are pretty bulletproof especially as it sounds like non-turbo. Unlike modern diesels they are very simple and there isn't too much too go wrong. One other point to check - inspect the condition of the water hoses and in particular check to see if there is a steel water pipe across the bottom of the timing cover and if it is badly rusted (access from wheel bay). They eventually rust through.

If it's a little bit lumpy and coughs white smoke for a bit on cold start, don't worry as long as it clears after a few seconds - it's due to slight loss of compression but won't affect reliability. As long as it runs smoothly without too much white or black smoke the engine should outlive the rest of the car!

PS Maybe change the fuel filter too (normally every 50,000).

Ike

Work in a new air/oil/fuel filter.
Get the belt done, but i woudnt bother with the water pump unless there is signs of anything untoward, there is a line that you have to draw with the older stuff isnt there!

MAke sure the battery is a gooden, diesels draw a fair bit when cranking.
As for glow plugs, as long as it heats then starts without a lot of cranking leave em alone.

Them Pug 19d lumps are rock solid 8)

having worked for peugeot (1989 - 2004) when changing the cambelt
it is best to change the tensioner and water pump as well.
the last thing you want is for the bearing to fail in the water pump
witch normally happens when people over tighten the belt when it is
replaced.
as said the engines are good when looked after so change the filters
reguraly and use a good 15/40 diesel oil .
i have seen some of these engines that have done over 200.000 miles
a little smokey but still go thru the emission test on the m.o.t.

If it's running OK then no need to do anything to the injection system. A good dose of Redex or similar type diesel additive never hurts either.

Ike

Timing belts are like light bulbs

They can look OK and always work !!

until one day and PING

lots of money to fix , so

PUT A BELT ON ASAP :wink:

the replacement time for the belt is 50.000 miles or every 5 years
witch ever comes first.
try to find out when it was last replaced.
i change the belt on my own toyota every 2 years
but it only cost for the parts as i fit it my self.

Latest posts

Back