Oilstones - refurbishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roger Ducat

Reaction score
Hello everybody. I have inherited two good quality oilstones that are very dirty and a bit hollow. Does anyone have any advice on how to fettle them up, please?

RogerD

Dirt should clean off with white spirit / turps substitute and some rags. If they really need levelling, you could use coarse emery paper (60 or 80 grit) on a flat surface such as a piece of thick glass or carefully checked natural stone floor tile.

But without wanting to open up the endless store of disagreement on sharpening, there is a school of thought that says a degree of dishing is ok as you can work around it for straight edges or exploit it when you need a bit of a camber.

Andy

No need to accept any dishing, arm yourself with a concrete slab some silver sand (playpit), water and elbow grease put the sand on the slab add water and work nice big circles and figure of eights with the stone until you are happy. Replace /add to sand as it wears.
I don't know, but I guess ordinary builders sand "could" be OK but I wouldn't use sharp sand as grit size is too big.

Alan

Back