• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Oil finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I asked Chestnut products for some advice on a combination finish and they advised me against it and suggested I use hardwax oil finish. I had never heard of this. I rang the local tool shop and they said they had some so I went over and picked up a tin, its made by Treatex the one I got. I was wondering if any of you guys have used it and if so I would appreciate your views.

I am making small items on the scroll saw and with several of the items I make there are cut outs inside the hardwood and I am after a nice finish over the whole of each piece. I have read everything on the tin but is does not say anything about sealing the wood so I presume I can use it straight onto bare wood. It does say on the tin to leave it for between 3 and 6 hours. It sounds a very long time to me and after it has dried does it need buffing. By the sound of it I feel two coats would be needed to achieve a reasonable finish. Any advice would be greatly received.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used the chestnut HWO on some tool handles. I wiped it onto bare wood, and just wiped off the excess after a few minutes. I really liked it, although preferred the finish after 4-5 coats rather than a couple. I buffed it after the final coat.

marcus

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a tin of Treatex recently to try out assuming it would be the same as Osmo (it was a bit cheaper), and didn't like it. It is much thicker and stickier than Osmo — almost varnish like — and didn't seem to soak into the timber as well as Osmo. Also it has much more 'solventy' smell and is generally less pleasant to use.

loftyhermes

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a tin of Chestnuts Hard wax oil for finishing my scroll work but after 6 months it went solid in the tin, so I now just use Danish oil.

Latest posts