Oil finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I asked Chestnut products for some advice on a combination finish and they advised me against it and suggested I use hardwax oil finish. I had never heard of this. I rang the local tool shop and they said they had some so I went over and picked up a tin, its made by Treatex the one I got. I was wondering if any of you guys have used it and if so I would appreciate your views.

I am making small items on the scroll saw and with several of the items I make there are cut outs inside the hardwood and I am after a nice finish over the whole of each piece. I have read everything on the tin but is does not say anything about sealing the wood so I presume I can use it straight onto bare wood. It does say on the tin to leave it for between 3 and 6 hours. It sounds a very long time to me and after it has dried does it need buffing. By the sound of it I feel two coats would be needed to achieve a reasonable finish. Any advice would be greatly received.

I have used the chestnut HWO on some tool handles. I wiped it onto bare wood, and just wiped off the excess after a few minutes. I really liked it, although preferred the finish after 4-5 coats rather than a couple. I buffed it after the final coat.

I bought a tin of Treatex recently to try out assuming it would be the same as Osmo (it was a bit cheaper), and didn't like it. It is much thicker and stickier than Osmo — almost varnish like — and didn't seem to soak into the timber as well as Osmo. Also it has much more 'solventy' smell and is generally less pleasant to use.

I bought a tin of Chestnuts Hard wax oil for finishing my scroll work but after 6 months it went solid in the tin, so I now just use Danish oil.

Back