Oh Poly... Cut 3

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 42626

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm often asked about Hegners and the various models available.
Many don't realise the sheer difference in model changes and the size difference between them.
Here's how big a P3 is alongside an early M2 for anyone who's interested.
My own saws and not for sale. The P3 is on the wrong stand at the moment.
It's worth noting that many P3 parts are equally big price wise too 🤣🤔
20230825_163622.jpg
20230825_163555.jpg
20230825_163805.jpg

"It's worth noting that many P3 parts are equally big price wise too 🤣🤔"

In my neck of the woods it is Euro inflation and whatever, plus UK Tax, plus postage to RSA and then local charges and also maybe duty.

Ouch, as an example the bronze bush on an M1 or M2S is cheap.
The P3 uses bigger and much more expensive phospher bronze bushes

Screenshot_20230827_111200_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230827_111243_Chrome.jpg

Ouch!

That is nearly ZAR900 before it even leaves the UK

I would seriously look for a local machine shop.
I'm already looking for machine shops to help me produce some upgraded parts for Hegners. I want to produce the plastic motor link rods for the M2S model which are prone to cracking as indeed the one pictured is.... making them instead from chunkier alloy.
So far costs arent very competitive with an overall expense similar to the Hegner part, on the plus side they're going to be much stronger and will accept new bearings, hopefully I'll get these into production soon, anyone interested please comment here to gauge any interest
20230827_125630.jpg

Spectric.... I'll be honest with regard to advantages it's something a fellow member with greater experience using both types can answer more accurately than me.
Any requirements or workflow would also be of benefit to help with any suggestions as to what works better for such needs too I guess.

Within my background I've always used a scroll saw and that began over 30 years back with a Hegner.
I invested over the years and usually had a couple of Hegners.
Having more than one was beneficial to me as parts would occasionally take time to arrive and downtime is most people's enemy.
In my retirement I rebuild Hegners and service quite a lot too. I like to strip them back to bare bones and build them back up, aligning everything correctly.
Since Brexit I've noticed longer delays for parts and currently I've over £200 worth on order that will take around 75 days to arrive.
With regard to brand recommendations, I'll always chose Hegner but it's personal choice, everyone's opinion and preferences are of value and there's many machines out there that will do the job and do it very well.
Let's not forget that all machines usually have good and bad points but they all can suffer a common problem, abuse and lack of maintenance.

Last edited:
£43 for a Phospher bronze bush is outrageous IMHO.
Hegner machines are superb but the spare part prices are just ridiculous, fortunately they give very little trouble. :)

£43 for a Phospher bronze bush is outrageous IMHO.
Hegner machines are superb but the spare part prices are just ridiculous, fortunately they give very little trouble. :)
Agreed, crazy prices and sometimes availability too. A phospher bronze bush should last a very long time but as usual only if the machine is maintained properly and oiled daily.
I find Hegners very reliable, it's the abuse or lack of knowledge and care that causes most problems.
It never fails to shock me seeing how many people carry an M1 or M2 by it's top arm, it's never going to end well 😄
I've known customers who had never even oiled the bushes until they were enlightened

Last edited:
I have a monster Hegner fret saw , I'm at a time in life were I can't lift it now due to the weight.
Yes the big ones are anything but portable. I certainly need to plan before mine gets moved. What model do you have Blister?
My original all alloy M2 of 1980 vintage is so light it could blow away in the wind and then the Polycut 3 is like... Who ate all the pies.
I need to put it onto the proper P3 spec table which has extra reinforcement to cope with all 39 kg of it.

Mr nuts,
perhaps look/join modelengineer.co.uk
u may make a new friend that might help in ur quest......
be very careful if u have bronze bushings made......not all bronze is the same....
it's a v/fine balance between bronze grade/steels and lube.....
there a much better products than bronze used in the marine and mining industry..
Now available easily in the uk......
having a grey moment......send a PM as a reminder and I'll find the product.....
and it's 100% not snake oil.....

Mr nuts,
perhaps look/join modelengineer.co.uk
u may make a new friend that might help in ur quest......
be very careful if u have bronze bushings made......not all bronze is the same....
it's a v/fine balance between bronze grade/steels and lube.....
there a much better products than bronze used in the marine and mining industry..
Now available easily in the uk......
having a grey moment......send a PM as a reminder and I'll find the product.....
and it's 100% not snake oil.....
Thanks Clogs, some good advice...
When I bought this P3 it was used and a bit abused, I had to replace the con rod bearings and the arm bushes, the bearings I sourced locally but I fitted new genuine Hegner phosphorus bushes at the time along with the newer type oil nipples instead of oiler caps so you can pump oil into the bushes. The saw is now in perfect running order but it was worth mentioning the cost of the bushes which as seen in the earlier comment is quite a big difference.
I oil the machine every time it's used and believe that to be the best prevention. In fact the previous owner openly admitted it got a drop of oil "every few months" so I expected the bushes to be fubar.

Update / Roll call

Multi cut 1 v/speed
Multi cut 2 S
Polycut 3 1984 serial number 3470
RBI Hawk in Record power green colour , when they imported them from the US of A
Diamond
Dewalt 788 , No longer imported into the UK

May be one more Hegner somewhere ? I thought I had 4 ? Maybe not.

Update / Roll call

Multi cut 1 v/speed
Multi cut 2 S
Polycut 3 1984 serial number 3470
RBI Hawk in Record power green colour , when they imported them from the US of A
Diamond
Dewalt 788 , No longer imported into the UK

May be one more Hegner somewhere ? I thought I had 4 ? Maybe not.
Very nice selection, is your Polycut 3 a fixed or tilting bed one

Back