oh no! another workshop tour.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promhandicam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the time has come for a quick tour round my little workshop.

It is situated in an out building (the one on the right) which is intended as staff accommodation – in Francophone Africa it is known as a ‘Boyerie’ where your ‘boy’ lives. ‘Un boy’ is the official term used for a house-help, and they often, even now, have accommodation next to the house of their patron. Usually they live on there own although on occasions they will have some family members living with them. Anyway I digress. As our Boyerie doesn’t have a boy in residence one of the rooms – about 3m x 3m has been turned into my workshop.

ec2b888a.jpg

Going clockwise from the doorway we start with the Fox F36-524 table saw (kity 419 clone). Due to the size constraints of the workshop I decided to put the saw on wheels which involved chopping off the legs of the stand. It seems to be quite stable although the concrete floor is not all that level so it is necessary to move it around a little to get all four wheels in contact with the ground. Now the assembly and calibration of the saw have been done – with quite a lot of head scratching it seems to be working well. I do need to change the blade for something less agricultural than the one it came with and at the moment get by using one that I have for my Makita CS which is a bit small but has more teeth and gives a very smooth cut. In the corner is lurking an EB chip extractor / dust creator, found on e-bay and which works well in its dual role. I’d like eventually to put it outside but for the time being it chugs away in the corner.

ec2e0404.jpg

Next we come on to the recently completed workbench which I made from Iroko. Sitting on it is my engineers vise mounted on a board / batten which is held by the wood working vise below - thanks to the suggestion found elsewhere on this forum. The bench has a ‘temporary’ 18mm ply panel behind it with some tools hanging in easy reach. The reason why I say temporary is that at the moment it is free standing behind the bench as I’m not finally decided on the layout and so don’t want to make any more holes in the walls than is necessary. Once I have decided on the final layout I will fix it properly - or not as the case may be. :roll:

ec2e03bd.jpg

In the corner is my old tool box which I bought when I was an apprentice and which has been filled up over the years. Pride of place are a couple of 3/8” Snap-On ratchets that cost me the earth when I bought them from the Snap-on man with my meagre apprentices wage. For the uninitiated Snap-on are the mechanics equivalent of Festool / Lie Nielsen – very nice and so they should be at that price! Below can be seen cases for a brace of Ryobi 18v cordless drills – by far the most used tools that I have and well worth getting two of them, IMHO as you end up with 4 batteries and for example can set one up for drilling and one for screwing. Next we come to the P/T an MHS 260– another e-bay bargain in as new condition and was amazingly being stored in the same storage unit where I was renting a room to assemble all our stuff before putting it in a shipping container to bring it here! A right result! As with the table saw, the P/T is on wheels and is parked against the wall for the time being. When I need it I can drag it out into the centre of the floor area and connect it up to the chip extractor.

ec2e0dcf.jpg

Finally is some shelving where various power tools live - as well as screws and other consumables. The final wall – not shown – has a window and a couple of trunks which need to find a more permanent home.

ec2e0de6.jpg

Well there it is. It is only small but I’m well pleased with it as it is more than I have ever had before and at the moment has exclusive use as a workshop.

All for now – I’m off tomorrow to Guinea Bissau (FYI, a small country on the West Coast of Africa – very poor and the only thing they export are cashew nuts) so things will go quiet for a couple of weeks (hooray I hear you say!)

Cheers,
Steve

What exactly do you do in africa :?: Or why are you living there? Most folk retire to Spain or Florida or somewhere
nosy arent I :lol: :lol:

mr spanton":3sa8366z said:
What exactly do you do in africa :?: Or why are you living there? Most folk retire to Spain or Florida or somewhere
nosy arent I :lol: :lol:

Well firstly I haven't retired - another 20+ years to go before I do that :(
I'm actually in Africa working for Christian Blind Mission International - an international NGO which supports projects helping people with disabilities - either in terms of prevention or rehabilitation. I was previously in Cameroon for 6 years and have recently moved here to Lomé, Togo where I work in our regional office as Partnership Enablement Coordinator. Carpentry is something that is purely a hobby and it helps me to relax when I'm not travelling which I do for about 6 months of the year to such delightful places as Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast - in fact all countries in West Africa.

So does that answer your questions? :lol:

For more information on CBM you could have a look here

Oh and BTW yes you are nosy but I'll let you off if you are still reading this!

Steve

Steve, thanks for posting the workshop photo's, always nice to have a little butchers around someone elses place.

Also, Kudo's for doing what your doing over there, I work with a couple of guy's from africa, and from a lot of what they say, a lot of the countries need as much help as they can get - well, in terms of optics (the industry i'm in at the moment). I was offered a position in Ghana by one of the locum opticians we have here - how have you found it living overthere? (again, sorry for being nosey - it's just a fascinating subject)

ByronBlack":gv8f76o2 said:
. . . I work with a couple of guy's from africa, and from a lot of what they say, a lot of the countries need as much help as they can get - well, in terms of optics (the industry i'm in at the moment). I was offered a position in Ghana by one of the locum opticians we have here - how have you found it living overthere?

Hi Byron. I've been in Africa for much of the last 17 years so guess it isn't too bad! My 2 kids have grown up here and for them even more than for me this is home. Like any job it has its moments but on the whole I find it more satisfying than I think I would working back in the UK. That said it isn't for everyone but there are plenty of opportunities for people to do a short term assignment - most people find they other love it or hate it - a bit like marmite :wink: Certainly there is an enormous need in the field of low vision and my organization supports a number of optical workshops and low vision projects usually in conjunction with medical eye services. If you are interested in knowing more send me a PM although as I said I'm off to Bissau tomorrow for the best part of 2 weeks.

Cheers, Steve

so are you a missionary then steve?
From time to time I donate tools to tools with a mission

http://www.twam.co.uk/index.htm

They supply tool kit's for folk in Africa to start up their business as a joiner or plumber etc They send sewing machines typwriters etc. I like supporting that particular charity as thers no pretentious attitude or political agenda with them or big high profile expensive tv ads. 8) Like Byron says the folk there in Africa can do with some help (without being patronizing), they just want to get on and do a trade so if I can help that its good 8)

mr spanton":gyn30lc8 said:
so are you a missionary then steve?
From time to time I donate tools to tools with a mission

http://www.twam.co.uk/index.htm

CBM refers to me as a co-worker but yes I would consider myself as a missionary in that I'm here believing that this is where God would have me at this time. We aren't directly involved in 'church' work as such but the majority of the partners that we support are Christian. Our goal is to reach the poorest of the poor - disabled people in developing countries - and try and improve their quality of life. CBM is not directly involved in evangelism but many of our partners are.

With regards to TWAM - I know them very well as I have helped distribute tools for them in Congo and Albania when I worked for the Baptist Missionary Society. They are a good organisation and the efforts they make are very much appreciated by those on the receiving end. They have a workshop in Colchester where they refurbish woodworking tools and if you are ever in the area they would I know be happy to have a visit - particularly from someone with an interest in woodworking - although for any avarious galoots it might be too tempting to leave empty handed! I was in fact at the workshop in the summer as TWAM gave me a set of tools - some to replace ones that I gave away when I left Cameroon and some which I have passed on here to a local wood carver.

So if anyone has any old tools that are gathering dust and you can't be bothered to put them on e-bay :wink: TWAM will be able to find them a good home - they have people around the country who collect tools - you don't have to go down to Colchester.

Thanks for mentioning TWAM Mr Spanton and thanks for supporting them too!

Steve

Steve

Thanks for posting the WS tour, its always nice to see how other people have set up their shops, how else would we get ideas for our own WS.

Steve,
always nice to poke around a workshop thanks for sharing. Made even more interesting by the work you do.

Andy

Back