Oh no! Another request for bandsaw advice thread.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought about adding this to an existing bandsaw thread, but didn't want to hijack someone elses plea for help.

I have 25 cu ft of lovely English Oak in 1" sawn planks to turn in to furniture. These end up as 7/8ths when planed for short lengths, but only 3/4 for longer lengths - maybe less if I want 6' lengths. This is not thick enough for what I need for larger pieces so beginning to think that sawing my own veneers (say 2mm) and glueing to a 24mm ply or MDF base is the way forward, particularly for table tops etc. Will save a fortune on English oak as well.

So, I have a need for a bandsaw that will resaw Oak with up to about 9" depth of cut. My p/t only takes boards to 10" wide so I don't envisage needing anything deeper. Most times, 4" to 6" will be fine, and I would settle for 8" max depth of cut. I would also like to use some more exotic resawn veneers - say birdseye maple, yew, burr walnut etc.

I've trawled through all the threads here and a s/h Startrite 352 seems to be favourite. These now seem to go for silly money - I've been the under bidder twice on Ebay at over £500 for a 240 volt model. As a "hobbyist" I would rather not spend more than £500 - £600 if I can help it.

So what do you suggest?

Stick out for a Startrite 352 and just pay what it takes? Are these still the best buy even at over £500 s/h?

Startrite 351's can be had significantly cheaper. Would that do the job I want it to do?

Or for the price of a s/h Startrite 352 I could buy a new Record BS350S. Or an Axminster AWHBS400N. Would these be a fair comparison?

My other machines are a SIP p/t and a Scheppach TS2010 8" tablesaw (sometimes regret not going for a 10" saw), and router table with Triton router. A bandsaw would complete my large machine buy list, and from what I read here, it would rapidly become the most used, but can't justify huge expenditure.

Help! What do I do?

edit: Budget-wise I wouldn't want to pay much more than £500 for a s/h machine, but might be persuaded to go higher for a new one. Buy cheap - buy twice!

Roger, you're in the same sort of position that I'm in, a need to re-saw into veneers (plus other stuff as well) My Euro 260 just about coped with 100mm but it was a bit 'iffy' so my choice of bandsaw is going to be the Jet JWBS-16 as the 250mm doc is more than adequate for my needs (I don't need to go to 300+mm) and it will take a 30mm blade, (though for practical purposes this ought to be reduced to 25mm) The vid on the Ax site is well worth looking at as well.

Edit: more than your budget though :oops: - Rob

I've been watching all bandsaw posts keenly as although it'll be some months before I can afford one, I want to know what to look for. As such I would like to ask what is the advantage of the Jet model over the
Hammer N4400 by Felder which is the other one I have been watching? They currently have it at £950 - it has a 300mm depth of cut and 4HP motor and seems solidly built.

Cheers,

Charlie

The Hammer is a good machine and had a favourable review some time ago in F&C, but I don't need the 300mm doc. It's also not available from Axminster and as I'll be ordering other stuff at the same time (when I do eventually get around tuit) the del charge may be minismised :wink: Ax will also deliver straight into your workshop rather than dumping a large pallet outside in the street, which for me is a distinct advantage - Rob

I must say the Hammerlooks impressive. Currently cheaper than its Axminster clone as well. Hmmm! How could I smuggle one of these into the workshop unseen?

Disguise it? I'm struggling to think what you could disguise a bandsaw as, given the size (and if it's still in the box) - perhaps as fridge freezer? Although this may yield even more questions. :lol:

Seriously though, as per Woodbloke's comments, delivery into the workshop is an important point - at 190kg I'd have zero chance of moving that from the front of the house to the workshop on my own. Although I can probably get some help with it, the delivery policy of the supplier would help influence my decision a lot. Hint Hint (just in case anyone from Felder is listening here........).

Charlie

Midnight, stealth delivery service? Could be onto a winner! :D

We have our own Felder engineers that could deliver this machine (and commission it, what little there is, if required) and would be able to help in putting it into the workshop.

You would be surprised at where we have delivered some machines!

As with all these things, there would be a cost but if you are interested then please email me and I can work something out.

@Whitesnake - thanks for the info I'll bear that in mind. As I say it'll be some months before I can buy a saw anyway -I've got to build the workshop first!

I've trawled through all the threads here and a s/h Startrite 352 seems to be favourite. These now seem to go for silly money - I've been the under bidder twice on Ebay at over £500 for a 240 volt model. As a "hobbyist" I would rather not spend more than £500 - £600 if I can help it.

So what do you suggest?

Stick out for a Startrite 352 and just pay what it takes? Are these still the best buy even at over £500 s/h?

Startrite 351's can be had significantly cheaper. Would that do the job I want it to do?

Or for the price of a s/h Startrite 352 I could buy a new Record BS350S . Or an Axminster AWHBS400N. Would these be a fair comparison?

Any crumbs of advice to offer on this part of my original post please? Is the 352 really worth over £500 s/h or at that price should I be looking at alternatives? Not sure I want to pay much more than £500 for a s/h machine, but could be persuaded to go a little higher for new.

So where are all these second hand Startrite 352s that you are supposed to be able to buy for around £350 - £400? Tonight one went on Ebay for £665.

How similar is the 351? I'm sure I read somewhere that they are identical in every way to the 352 except they are single speed rather than dual speed, so maybe better value for money if you don't need to cut metals or plastic.

RogerM,

A few thoughts,
1) You could just keep at it and wait to get a Startrite 352 for £500 or less. I just saw one at £950 so maybe I'll sell mine...no.
2) Theres a Delta 14 incher on ebay real cheap. It needs a refurb but that would not cost much and its currently at £49.99. Cutting depth is about 8 inches I think but you can also buy a piece to extend that to 12 inches
Our US cousins seem to think these are the bees knees.
3)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WADKIN-BZB-20...s_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET#ht_561wt_885
4)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wadkin-MZF-16...s_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET#ht_592wt_885

The last Wadkin seems like a bargain and better than a Startrite.

regards

Alan

Thanks Alan - not sure I have the space for such a big beast tho'. Also by the time VAT has been added plus a VFD, I would be in for about £700 - and that is getting close to the price for a new Jet 16 or Axminster 4300 which both come with a warranty.

Decisions decisions!

beech1948":7m75iq3q said:
RogerM,

A few thoughts,
1) You could just keep at it and wait to get a Startrite 352 for £500 or less. I just saw one at £950 so maybe I'll sell mine...no.
2) Theres a Delta 14 incher on ebay real cheap. It needs a refurb but that would not cost much and its currently at £49.99. Cutting depth is about 8 inches I think but you can also buy a piece to extend that to 12 inches
3)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WADKIN-BZB-20...s_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET#ht_561wt_885
4)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wadkin-MZF-16...s_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET#ht_592wt_885

The last Wadkin seems like a bargain and better than a Startrite.

regards

Alan

Alan it isn't only our US cousins who think that they are the bee's knee's. Lovely machines that if looked after will go on forever. :wink:

Cheers

Mike

It often seems to me that stuff on Ebay is like buses - you wait for ages and then several are listed at the same time. I have got bargains during such a glut.

Misterfish

RogerM,

OK. I can see it getting to £550 with a VFD and then you have to figure out how to connect it up but that seems peanuts for a great machine.

There are aslso lots of Elektra Beckum 315 for sale. A bit more down market but a fairly able machine in your budget with change to spare. And resellable if needed.

Alan

beech1948":35srmqn9 said:
MikeC,

OK Mike. I was'nt putting it down but I have no experience of Delta only UK iron.

regards
Alan

Hi Alan, if you read your post again
3)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WADKIN-BZB-20-BANDSAW-TILT-TABLE-FOOT-BRAKE-/260654917345?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET#ht_561wt_885
4)http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wadkin-MZF-16-Bandsaw-/270621225239?pt=UK_BOI_Building_Materials_Supplies_Carpentry_Woodwork_ET#ht_592wt_885
it looks like you are saying that our US cousins seem to think that the Wadkin are the bees knees (or that is what I thought that you were saying). And so I was agreeing that they are not the only ones who think that they are great.
It was only when you placed your other post saying that you had no experience of Delta that the penny dropped and I realised that you did not mean the Wadkin at all :oops: :oops:

I'll get my coat and bow out before I make a bigger fool of myself :oops:

Cheers

Mike

beech1948":32lf0jyo said:
RogerM,

OK. I can see it getting to £550 with a VFD and then you have to figure out how to connect it up but that seems peanuts for a great machine.

There are aslso lots of Elektra Beckum 315 for sale. A bit more down market but a fairly able machine in your budget with change to spare. And resellable if needed.

Alan

£450 + VAT = £528, plus (say) £170 for a VFD = £700. Then I have to get it from Yorkshire to Devon, and get a fence etc - so all in I guess there would be no change out of £800, with absolutely no g'tee whatsoever. I think I'll keep looking for the time being - but thanks for pointing these out.

The main thrust of my post was that threads on this forum keep saying how peeps got their Startrite 352 for £350 to £400, whereas now they seem to be going for £600 - £800. Owning one of these seems to be better than money in the bank at the moment, and a whole lot more fun as well.

Latest posts

Back