Oh My God!!! Now a Camera in a Mitre Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ridiculous! Probably aimed at rich, gadget mad men who see 'new' technology and have to have it - forget whether it has any benefit or produces a truer, more accurate cut - they can buy the machine and show it off to friends!

I certainly won't be at the front of the queue for this one - stick with my Bosch SCMS I think...!

Festool are releasing an HDTV version soon, that plays loops of NYW when you're not sawing. :wink:

This has been done for years on drill presses and mills, both factory mounted and users modding webcams be be able to mount them in the chuck or mr.

I really can see the usefullness for templating parts and for accurately aligning and positioning. But on a mitre saw?, no I can't see the huge benefit

well, the only advantage I could see would possibly be a slow motion replay of where that fingertip flew off too...

The review says it all, but what are the safety (let alone efficiency) implications of a camera which shows a mirror image of what is really happening? You could end up pulling the saw towards your hand when the camera shows it going away.

Huh...

Isn't this why they put lasers on these sorts of tools? :?

I think that if you're busy concentrating on this wee tv screen, you'll lose track of what your hands are doing. I'd imagine it'd be fairly easy to move your hand in the path of the blade if your focusing somewhere else.

just me?

Bryn :D

by the looks of things they are just trying to help save back troubles with having to move to see where the saw blade hits the work? :lol: :lol:
I suppose next they will invent one with a power rise and fall to save user fatigue

In what way is it difficult to see where you are cutting anyway?

On my DeWalt the guard has slots cut in it so that you can see through it and right along the blade to the saw line. It works fine.

Why try and solve a problem that isn't there?

Dan

Next step will be to use the video camera with a motorised slide and image recognition software to automatically align your pencil line with the blade.

Unless an idea is glaringly ridiculous and O.T.T, I am always been keen to try something before I condemn it.

This video attachment might seem to be a gadget too far. But when stooping over is a real problem, despite surgery and you have hypertension, then maybe this ancillary has something going for it. It might also prevent the 'operator' in the pictures from getting her hair tangled in the blade, although a hairnet or a hat would do the same job!

I agree, this 'extra' seems over the top, but anything that reduces the number of times I have to stoop down to eyeball something, when lining up a cut, is a welcome addition. I would certainly welcome this on my Triton, in overhead saw mode as it's not easy lining up the blade (When you can see the blessed thing that is). I am not suggesting that I lean over the saw whilst it's cutting by the way.

Here speaks one who sometime finds it comfortable to use a garden 'kneeler' when dovetailing. :)

How I shall go on with my metal knees, in the New Year I don't know, but I'll find some O.T.T way of getting around the problem, 'cos I ain't not stopping woodworking.

Regards
John
:whistle: :eek:ccasion5:

PS.. I will be stopping short of ordering the new Two-thirds measures at my local though. After all six of them is still two pints!

:eek:ccasion5:

Back