Oh dear Axminster! :(

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Barrett

Established Member
Reaction score
I just bought eight slip clutch bar clamps from Axmisnter - their deal of the week last week. Now, bear in mind these are sliding clamps. So what do you need? A nice slippery slide bar, that's what. So what did they do? Each cramp has a high tack adhesive label stuck the entire length of and all round the slide. I reckon it'll take me 10 minutes to clean each one.

What were they thinking? I am waiting for customer service to tell me :(

ummm, just like the natural pine doors from Focus... complete with ultra sticky large label that leave residue on the wood that shows up chronically when waxing and varnishing. really make you wonder doesn't it?

mark

I've had this problem (like most) increasingly in the last few years. I find the easiest way is to remove the label with one of those gadgets for scraping paint off glass ( you know - the plastic handle with a stanley-knife blade in it) and then scrub the glue off with white spirit or meths.

Mark

Screwfix sell a "Stickystuff Remover". I find it works well.

Stoday":3vqlm331 said:
Screwfix sell a "Stickystuff Remover". I find it works well.

Its not marketed by the makers of the sticky label adhesive by any chance :lol:

Had a similarly frustrating exercise with Axminster this weekend.

Saturday morning sees a couple of niggles developing on the shed front so decide to take LOML to Seaton for lunch rather than carry on with work-around that had disaster not to distant on the possibility front.

Being as we were passing close to Axminster it seemed sensible to pick up a set of smaller jaws for my chuck and a couple of other bits, to avoid waiting 'till Tuesday for delivery :wink: .

Came to fit small jaws to chuck on Sunday morning only to find that they had been incorrectly machined with back face as much as 26 thou (.66mm) out of true, great wobble plate impersonation, obviously been mis-located in jig for second side machining.

So Monday sees me with positive request for someone to sort out replacements and check that they were ok before dispatch.

In fairness to Axminster the replacements arrived this (Tue.) morning, together with returns label for defective bits and profuse apologies.

Customer service is excellent, pity the QA leaves something to be desired.

Paul Barrett":3bilxyy7 said:
I just bought eight slip clutch bar clamps from Axmisnter - their deal of the week last week. Now, bear in mind these are sliding clamps. So what do you need? A nice slippery slide bar, that's what. So what did they do? Each cramp has a high tack adhesive label stuck the entire length of and all round the slide. I reckon it'll take me 10 minutes to clean each one.

What were they thinking? I am waiting for customer service to tell me :(

Well the reason given was that big labels help the packers. Hm.... not convinced about that.

But the 20% refund was sweet.

Gary H":2tcgqgq5 said:
Tip for removing sticky labels?
Where safe to the product try a little acetone. Ask the missus for her nail polish remover, but make sure you explain why first. She may get a little disconcerted otherwise :p

Gary

Actually a reversed 1" chisel on the flats and a wire brush to de-clog the teeth of the ratchet bar worked a treat; and no-one's orientation was called in to question

An old colleague gave me this tip years ago for removing almost any kind of sticky label, warm the label up with a hair dryer and it usually peels right off. White spirit will then clean up any residue.
beejay

Just don't try both methods or the missus will *really* start to worry.

"Yes darling, of course you can borrow my hairdryer and cosmetics case. Erm..."

:wink: :lol:

V.

Latest posts

Back