Offer on Axminster screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Axminster have an offer on - selection box of 1500 screws with torx heads for £17 ish, reduced from £26 ish.
I usually buy basic pozidrive from Screwfix because they are fairly competitively priced, and their torx headed ones are much dearer. Being a cheapskate I decided to compare prices and was surprised at the result. Using Excel to do a comparison on a pro rata basis, it turns out that the same quantities and sizes of Torx screws would cost £54 whilst basic Screwfix goldscrews would cost £27. So the Axminster pack is cheaper even at normal prices.
Another point is you don't get a load of tiny screws which you never need. The selection is a sensible mix of sizes. The storage box doesn't look as if it will last though.

So I have ordered a box. I will still use pozidrive since I have so many of them, but on those occasions where I need torx to avoid cam out, I hope they will be useful.

K

A good start would be to use a torx driver - works much better than a pozi driver in a torx screw!!

Seriously though, you do get serious grip, and if you can't get the screwdriver dead on in line (or if you have to work overhead) then they are much less likely to cam out than pozidrive - but you probably knew that already.

On the subject of screws, I did buy a Screwfix selection box of silver screw pozidrives which was on special offer. Again cheaper than buying individual sizes (did an Excel calculation on that too) and had a really solid steel container with plastic inserts free. Actually I bought two, the second one being quite large, and is no lightweight to carry around.
I suppose I have enough screws to last me quite a long time.

K

I was just about to order that when I remembered I've still got the unopened Torx assortment from Axi's previous promotion!

Almost every furniture screw I use is a brass slot head, but I keep thinking there must be projects where the more modern look of a Torx head is just what's required...trouble is I've yet to actually find that project!

Thanks for the heads up - I like torx and it's a good range of sizes. If you dont need quite such a large range lidl torx screws are coming up again soon - £2.99 for 30 / 40 / 50 / 60mm in large packs. I have some of those too and they seem just as good.

custard":3oier2l6 said:
I was just about to order that when I remembered I've still got the unopened Torx assortment from Axi's previous promotion!

Almost every furniture screw I use is a brass slot head, but I keep thinking there must be projects where the more modern look of a Torx head is just what's required...trouble is I've yet to actually find that project!

Surely for unseen screws a stronger torx would be preferable - I doubt there could be much worse for a customer than a snapped brass screw after moving house or something.

Latest posts

Back