Odd question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Odd question that was inspired from a read through Classic Handtools catalogue.

What tools do you like the look of? (not performance or use, just appearance/design)

lugo35":28rwfguj said:
holtey planes :D maybe one day

Strangely (as I love and use handplanes all the time), I find infills, including Holteys, ugly as sin :?

Most of the old Elu power tools; Yankee screwdrivers (pre-plastic handles); Clifton planes (even the colour is right); most Multiplanes; Mike Wenzloff saws.........probably some others, but they are the ones that immediately come to mind :wink:

Paul

"Classic lines"? I like tools that have a classic look-not necessarily old but that have "design honed by time" look. The mk1 always looks gumpy :lol:
Mind you-you can't always go by good looks. I do love my BUS........ :wink:
Philly :D

Just thought of another one, Tony :idea: Probably slipped my mind because it's not in production yet. It's the Clifton low angle block plane - you might remember seeing it at Woodex earlier this year where Mike Hudson of Clifton had a small stand (well, a bench actually). Not much different from the Lie Nielsen and the Veritas in design but they've managed to incorporate a wooden handle which not only looks good but feels so tactile 8) 8) I think this quality of being very tactile is so important in woodworking tools - probably one of the key qualities of woodworking itself.

Hope they start producing it soon - don't need one but will just have to buy it 8) 8) 8) Hope the wife doesn't see this 8-[ 8-[

Paul

Rosewood and brass do it for me every time. But there is also something to be said for the shape of traditional tools over their modern counterparts.

Scrit

I agree with Scrit!
There is something about the appearance of older tools that sets them apart. They just look like they have a purpose. It might be to do with the use of more extravagant styling and, of course the rosewood and brass etc, but there is "something" that modern tools do not have in abundence. If you know what it is - please tell me!

Cheers.

SF

Here are mine:

5_lg.jpg

cht_jap_63j_L.gif

ds_lg.jpg

sml_jnry.jpg

pe_0006a.jpg

05e1401s1.jpg

Back