Oak Wardrobe and Cabinets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
Bloody car alarm woke me up! The worst of it is that is was my car alarm! No sign of a break-in; its just playing up.

So while my feet are thawing out and I have a cup of tea here are some photos of a job I finished yesterday. The quality's not great; I forgot my camera and these are piccies the client took and emailed to me. Lovely bloke, but no photographer!

I've got to go back in a couple of weeks once the new carpet is down to fit the plinth to the wardrobe so I'll take some myself then. Meanwhile, these are good enough for you lot!

It's a lovely old house up in the Peak District and the clients wanted something in oak that was a bit rustic, a bit contemporary, and a bit traditional.

:shock:

This is what I came up with;

NewBedroomfurniture005.jpg

NewBedroomfurniture001.jpg

NewBedroomfurniture003.jpg

NewBedroomfurniture002.jpg

NewBedroomfurniture004.jpg

Cheers
Dan

Morning Dan
WS alarm woke me, again false alarm!!
The wardrobes look great, as usual. I am making some myself for my own bedroom atm. I was going to use the hanging rails that are kind of on a swivel arm; the rail pulls down, thru 90', from an elevated position to a more manageable height, allowing them to be positioned out of the way.
I have never fitted these before, and wondered if you have? And if so what your thoughts were on them? I can get them from the Sugatstone catalogue, but is this the best place to get stuff like this?

Either way, the bedroom furniture looks up to your usual standard! You've been posting a lot of finished work recently! Have you been saving it all up?

Thanks mate!

Neil

They do look just the part for the setting Dan very nice. What finish did you use and are all the insides and shelves veneered board. As you know I have some to build next and was thinking of using thin veneered board for the backs as they need to be removable. Great work again as usual. :D

Dan Tovey":1b4kusow said:
Bloody car alarm woke me up! The worst of it is that is was my car alarm! No sign of a break-in; its just playing up.

Better get straight onto Bentley then mate. Or is it on the Lambo?

Lovely work there. Still shocked at your rate of production. Hope some of that will rub off on me next month ;)

Dan - nice work. How did you get the big coving made on top of the wardrobe...spindle? 8-[ - Rob

Very nice Dan

I know you usually end up working in MDF, so was it a benefit or an incovenience to be working in real wood for a change? Jut wondered as I am making something in MDF at the moment and not enjoying the dust!

Do you make your own panels for the doors, or have you bought in T&G material (thats what it appears to be) - just interested as there is presumably quite a bit of work in just the panels if you made them all from scratch starting with sawn stock.

Nice end result anyway

Cheers, Ed

Excellent work,Dan - particularly taking into account the design brief
the clients wanted something in oak that was a bit rustic, a bit contemporary, and a bit traditional.
think you managed nicely :D

Andrew

:shock: Jeees man you turn these jobs out :shock:

Another cracker mate. I paticularly like the TGV boards to the doors, and that cornice is lovely- Htf did you make that? I like the fact you've took the time to get the grain running through your draw fronts too.

Superb.

Very very nice. I love the little bedsibe cabinet with the draw verticals made from the same piece. Nice touch of proffesionalism.

Not 100% keen on the chrome hanger rails but apart from that it's a quality set.

May I ask how many hours went into it, and possibly be even cheekier by asking what you charged the customer? I need to do some market research for some of my own jobs :)

George.

Nice job Dan.
I suspect if it's an electrical fault on his car it'll be something Italian, Ferrari?

Cheers guys,

To answer a few questions;

The door panels are made from oak tongue & groove boards from John Boddys.

The cornice I made on the spindle moulder using a specially designed cutter that enables me to make a big cove like this by flipping the board over with every pass. I'll show you at the bash!

The finish is a stain agreed with the client followed by two coats of Morrells 20% sheen AC lacquer.

I actually took it easy on this job, as I was enjoying it and was ahead of schedule. Eleven days in the workshop and two days assembling at the clients' house.

The wardrobe had to be made completely flat-pack as the access to upstairs was very tight. The carcass is veneered MDF and is assembled with biscuits and screws - no glue.

Total price was just under £4,000.

I've just noticed about the grain running through the draw stiles. Lucky that, wasn't it! :lol:

Cheers
Dan

My major headache using T&G is shrinkage, did you stain the tongues?
Interesting using it as panels personally i'd say its traditional rather than contemporary.

Nice work Dan. I think the whole thing would look better in a natural clear finish. I usually try to talk the customer round to having a clear finish but if they insist i will use stain afterall they are paying for it.

Jon

Dan Tovey":3itk5r01 said:
Cheers guys,

I've just noticed about the grain running through the draw stiles. Lucky that, wasn't it! :lol:

Cheers
Dan

I don't think there was any luck involved Dan, that's what you call skill from years of experience.

Oh! nearly forgot to say "lovely job" :)

Dan- Did you Domino the doors together? If so how did you find it? It's got to be a massive time saving.

Mattty":png8onc8 said:
Dan- Did you Domino the doors together? If so how did you find it? It's got to be a massive time saving.

No.

I cut a 20mm deep groove to take the panels in the stiles and rails on the spindle moulder. The top rails had a 50mm deep groove which I cut on the table saw before shaping them on the bandsaw.

I then cut a matching tenon on the end of each rail using a rebate block on the spindle moulder.

This is how I make all my doors. I can't see how the Domino would speed this process up.

I use the Domino for putting carcasses together, making face frames, and assembling drawers.

Cheers
Dan

Dan Tovey":2ahwuj3k said:
Doctor":2ahwuj3k said:
My major headache using T&G is shrinkage, did you stain the tongues?

I did as it happens.

You'll not catch me out that easily, Bob.

Nice try, though!

:wink:

Dan

:lol: :lol: how come you didn't match the T&G through on the drawer packs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back